97 Disco repair or replace?

Started by Ron T, September 26, 2019, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron T

I've been off this list for a few years, but now I'm at a decision point with my 97 Disco.  Corrosion has caught up to it, or me, depending on how you look at it.  It has over 330,000 km on it, and up until a couple of years ago I'd been trying to stay on top of any issues.  I haven't found a garage here that I have confidence in.  The floor boards and other body parts are rotting out.  What might I be looking at for costs to have the body work done?  Could I find another 98 or earlier (Disco I) in reasonable shape and if so what might I expect to pay to have one that's in good condition?  Should I consider something else (keeping with LR hopefully)?
Thanks,   Ron in Yellowknife, NT

binch

Hello Ron, Long time no hear.  How you been keeping?

Wow...that's a pretty open ended question there....

The sports car centre in Edmonton can do the body work on the landy's quite well since they have an addict or two working there. LOL    What it would cost depends totally on what is rotten out and needs replacing.  Footwells, rear fenders at doors and rear cargo floor are the big areas to fail, but all can get parts for them to replace.   I suppose it all depends on how far you want to go. in repairing it, doesn't it....

Finding a good condition disco 1...I suppose that can be done too if you look around long enough, and you can probably find one.   But where to look.   Spain, south of france, Portugal.....they all have climates that are good for maintaining bodies.   Then you have to look for mileage.  Many from those areas will have the 200/300tdi's.   But prices for the vehicles in good shape I would expect $6000 - $10,000 and then shipping costs.   Arizona and California also may have something but in gas.

The other option is the Disco 2 and they can be had for $6000 to $10000 in good shape.   But the disco 2 has a longer over hang on the back so does tend to drag it's arse a bit.  And if it has air suspension on the back...expect to replace it for your own sanity.

There are some nice RRC's come around every now and then too....

So...lots of options that's for sure.

There's a few things to think about.... ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I've been able to buy a nice, lower mileage from $3-$5K. $1200-$2500 would buy you a sound but needs some work unit. $500 will get you a project you wish never started.
Lots around still, they sold well for Land Rover when new but wait for the right one to come up and shop around. I used to buy, fix up and sell these all the time.

I'd just sell or scrap it if I were you. Not worth fixing a high mileage rusty Discovery 1 unless it has some serious sentimental value.

IMO, a Disco 1 is best bang for the buck Land Rover you can buy today.

My 2c
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Ron T

Thanks, it is an open ended question I know, but I'm a little at whits end although I knew it was coming.  I don't like disposable vehicles, or anything that relies very heavily on authorized dealer support.  What is gone or on its way out is the floor boards, especially on the drivers side where the snow and ice accumulates during winter driving and doesn't dry out properly.  The lower aft door frames, and the lateral channels on the bottom especially around the rear doors on both sides.  The rear baggage area is OK.

I'd like to take some time and wait for something to come up, or for spring and take it to Edmonton for an estimate if nothing else turns up.

I'm just about old enough to retire, its kind of a foolish bucket list idea, but I have entertained the idea of having one modded up.  There again I don't know what that would cost, what kits are available, or who I'd trust to do the bulk of the work.

Matt H

If you don't like disposable vehicles then I'd still look for another unit. Once the rot sets in it's a long road ahead to totally eradicate it and you need to totally strip the vehicle down to a bare structure to do so.
The Discovery was never built to last twenty years. Find a good rust free unit and set about preserving it. Mechanical issues are just details and can be repaired realativly easily.
Off road mods are easy, plentiful and often come up for sale second hand. But these units don't need much. They go great as is.

Always start with the best one you can afford. Honestly it will save you money in the long run. There are still lots of nice units kicking around.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on September 27, 2019, 05:48 AM
Always start with the best one you can afford. Honestly it will save you money in the long run. There are still lots of nice units kicking around.
My 2c.

This is sound advice!!!   ;)
Cheers, Bill

Ron T

Thanks Matt H.

that's one reason why I came back on the list, I can't do this from here.  I bought my current Disco used sight unseen back in 2006 or 2007.  It is my hope that over the winter someone will come across one coming up for sale that they know a little about the vehicle and maybe the seller.  It isn't possible to travel south to check out many interesting prospects, well not until I'm desperate.

As you suggested, I'm more comfortable paying more for a better vehicle.  I do not have a garage to work in, I can do some work outside (changed spark plugs at -40, started the engine to warm things up, changed half them, restarted and warmed up, changed the other half).  For the moment lets say I'm not overly concerned about the price, and I have maybe until spring to find the right one.

As much as I like the eye appeal of some of the mods, I have a kit for the differential vents I'd like to put on, and do a proper installation of my amateur radio gear and antennae, not too much more.

headdamage

If you see one you want looked at in Calgary let me know.

Ron T

Thanks!  I'm hoping that something may come up from contacts here that hadn't made it to being an advertised sale yet.  One can wish.  Response time from here wouldn't be very quick, so your offer is greatly appreciated and you'd know what to look for. 

headdamage

Too bad I didn't run into you while I was living 8n YK.

Ron T

We've been here since January 2006.

headdamage

I was there from 2012 to 2017, I had a green RRC up there for a while.

Ron T

If it was on the road here I likely would have noticed it.  Even up to a few years ago there were several Disco 1 and 2 and RRs here.  there still are a few, mostly later models.

headdamage

There was a nice looking 88 in a yard in industrial area but I could never find out who owned it. Also a rough 109 that used to site outside the gates of a scrap yard in the same area. There where a few discos and a RRC that was stuffed in behind a carving outfit.

Ron T

Thanks for keeping an eye out.  While in YK you may have noticed my Disco, dark green, antenna off the roof on the drivers side, licence plate VE8RT.