RRC Project

Started by JamesS, December 30, 2018, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesS

Update... went to my parking garage this evening to troubleshoot the fuel gauge... and low and behold vehicle had been rifled through and all my tools stolen. Looks like someone broke into the building.  Temporary setback.

binch

Cheers, Bill

JamesS

Some progress recently:

Trucklite LED headlights:

Not entirely happy with how they sit, but the light output is great compared to the sealed beams.

Also installed magnaflow cat back exhaust, sounds much better than factory:

New wheels (maybe)

Minor interior pieces:

Strongly dislike the factory land rover connectors, so converting in some areas to Deutsch connectors with solid pins, starting with the fuel pump:

All parts received for the lift - police spec red/white rear springs, front are greens, koni shocks:

Installed on Saturday, took essentially all day with running around to get tools. Ended up having to buy an angle grinder to get out one of the rear shocks:

All done:

May be sagging a bit in the rear, waiting for it to settle:

New stereo receiver:

binch

Let the games begin!!!!   8)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Do you have a load leveler and is it still working?  If not, those rear springs are probably a bit light for a RR.  An Airlift kit would be a decent option.

JamesS

Quote from: Red90 on February 18, 2019, 10:50 AM
Do you have a load leveler and is it still working?  If not, those rear springs are probably a bit light for a RR.  An Airlift kit would be a decent option.

Not sure if load leveler is working.  Red/whites are 20 lbs stiffer (170 lb) than factory greens (150 lb).  Greens now in the front as opposed to 133 lb stock.  Trying not to mess with the ride at all.

Red90

You need a load leveller for the system to work with those springs. Otherwise you would normally change to Disco 1 rears.

Read the manual for the method to test the load leveler. Do you understand you need to drive for the leveler to pump up?  Part is the problem with a leveler is they won't work if you are trying to be lifted.  They will only maintain stock height.

JamesS

Matt H

I have those same headlights on my 110. They are x 1000 better than the stock units. They really kick ass. Great upgrade.
BTW, I've never seen a Bose load leveller that works properly on a Range Rover or 110 SW since 1998.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

JamesS

I seriously need a recommendation for a reasonable mechanic that can do out of province inspections.

Just tried to have it inspected again after months and months of fixing things listed in the last inspection.  Even got the ABS system working properly.

Took it to get inspected and right off the bat it was like the mechanic was trying to fail it - he said it wouldn't pass with a broken fog light (not a requirement).  Then he said because the ABS light doesnt turn off within 7 seconds it would fail as well - per the manual you have to drive the car to 10 kmph before the ABS light turns off.  Ridiculous.  Then he tried to plug the OBD2 scanner into the ABS... Everyone is trying to have the car meet the standard of something brand new.

Does anyone know someone that is reasonable?  It checks all the boxes on the form - just not the test where the mechanic makes up whatever they want to and then says that it fails.

Thanks.

Matt H

Complain. It's a 1991 and does not need to be OBD II compliant. Remove the spoiler and fog lights.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

Vern at TRS did the out of province on my RRC a few years ago and let me fix any problems he found.

JamesS

Called around and booked at "Lakeview Automotive".  Based on the call seems like they have some experience inspecting older cars, so crossing my fingers.

binch

Not the first time I've heard that kinda of crap before on an inspection.    We have a good shop here in Edmonton.  Very reasonable but honest about it.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: JamesS on June 10, 2019, 03:02 PM
Called around and booked at "Lakeview Automotive".  Based on the call seems like they have some experience inspecting older cars, so crossing my fingers.

Did you try Vern at TRS?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!