RRC Project

Started by JamesS, December 30, 2018, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesS

Last time I was at TRS I think I mentioned whether they knew of a good place for an inspection and it didn't seem like they did them - they also aren't listed on the government website.  Will try my luck next week - before then just going to remove everything that could cause a problem and put the interior plastics back in.

Trevor

Hopefully they still do, Vern was pretty easy to deal with when I was there last. Mind you that was about 7 years ago now, so alot could have changed.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

They will at least be aware the Wabco ABS system needs to see wheel speed to extinguish the light.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

JamesS

Registered!  Huge waste of time and money but now on the road.

Matt H

You own a Range Rover Classic......and now it's on the road......the wasting of time money has only just begun! Lol.

Congratulations and welcome from a fellow RRC money pit owner.

binch

You'll love driving it  ;)    Like being in a fish bowl and just plain comfortable!
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Yes, I always describe driving the RRC as being like in a fish bowl because the viability is so good. After doing a major overhaul on mine about 9 years ago there has not been any big brake downs. Heater has been a constant pita but works sort of. Had to replace the front drive shaft last year due to forgetting to grease it. Right now it is over due for some maintenance and the rust is starting to get a hold on it again but it still drives and is fun to get around in with excellent fuel economy (200tdi).

Matt H

I really enjoy my Defender 110 Station Wagon, but the Mighty Range Rover is just where it's at when it comes to visceral fun and off road prowess. It just ticks all my boxes. Looks great, sounds great, performs great and leaves me with a smile every time I drive it.

Sometimes I consider selling it but then I find another reason to hang onto the beast.

In fact I just spent another $1K on wheels & tyres. Time and money wasted? Perhaps, but I don't golf so I need something to keep me off the streets.

JamesS

Since being licensed have put on about 500 kms without any issues.

The plan was to get AMA, but I ended up getting a Canadian Tire mastercard with no fee that has up to 250 km free towing (5 times per year).  Seems like a must have for any land rover owner considering it is free.

I also managed to fix the gas gauge malfunction - it ended up being the wiring which had drooped down and melted on the exhaust (the old exhaust).  I did a temporary fix and then got around to a full fix tonight:

Old plug:

Deutsch connector:

It is very satisfying replacing the old garbage land rover wiring.

Alex C

are those Deutsche pins/sockets crimp or stamp and form ?
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

JamesS

They are the solid machined type, I find them easier to crimp although the other ones would do the same job and are cheaper.

Alex C

i have the HDT-48-00 crimper it works great
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

JamesS

Updates (not much).

Ripped out all the rear carpeting and found some expected rust I have to deal with:

Did some clean up and painting:

Was having issues with the alternator so I pulled a VW Bosch Alternator from bucks and swapped:

Jobs for the new year will be repairing the floor, painting and getting the interior back in. Would also like to clean the underside more thoroughly and do some rust proofing.  Contemplating LT230 swap as well but will see about that. 

Happy new year everyone.

binch

Definitely lose the BorgWarner and install the LT230.    So much better option ;)
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Yes, I ditched the borg where the viscous unit seized.