Series 3 starter needed

Started by RossM, December 17, 2018, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossM

Does anyone have an extra series starter motor they would sell?

Thanks
Ross Maylor
403-850-5367

Gardenome

Try Malcolm
‭(780) 967-5531‬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camo388

If we knew if it was 12 V or 24 V.  For 2.25 gas or 2.25 diesel engine.  Then it would be easier to try and help. 

RossM

Yes details would help. The engine is a 2.25L petrol engine on 12V.
Thank you
Ross

camo388

Sorry to say I have all bad news.  I have a 2.25 starter but it is 24 V.  I then found a 12 V starter but it is for the 2.5 NA diesel.  :( :'(
You just might have time for a letter to Santa. :D

Bruce

RossM

Bruce
Thank you for looking.
Cheers
Ross

mike.heathcote

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in Edmonton - check out Cooper Brothers, on 99st and 57 ave. 
Over the years, they've rebuilt a series 2 starter and generator for me, at a reasonable price.  :) 

http://cooperbrothersauto.com/ 

RossM

Thanks Mike,
I made the mistake of installing a high torque starter when the original died. Although reputedly made for series Land Rovers the high torque starter caused some damage to the flywheel. Unfortunately I had given my original away in the meantime so now have none to rebuild. Stupid move! 
Cheers
Ross
In Calgary

binch

Quote from: RossM on December 21, 2018, 02:55 PM
I made the mistake of installing a high torque starter when the original died. Although reputedly made for series Land Rovers the high torque starter caused some damage to the flywheel. Unfortunately I had given my original away in the meantime so now have none to rebuild. Stupid move! 

How did it damage the flywheel????? :o
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Looks like the drive is not fully engaged during starting. The edge of the ring gear looks chipped.
Did you use a shim pack? Or measure the new unit next to the original? I see lots of jobber starters that fit but are dimensionally slightly different and do not engage fully causing damage similar to this.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

RossM

As the advert states "Developed in Canada, the starter is a direct replacement for the original equipment starter made by Lucas and fitted to all Series II, IIA and III Classic Land Rovers." So no I did not use shims. The starter did not fully engage, looks like the teeth did not line up, and many teeth were chipped. The seller stated that maybe there was some sort of voltage drop that caused the starter to run too slowly to spin in and they have never heard of such performance before and have sold a lot of starters over the years and offered to sell me another one. Yeah no!
What I have learned is that the original series starter is an inertia type and is designed to pull the gear into the flywheel teeth from the gearbox side towards the engine. The teeth on the flywheel are chamfered to allow this. The aftermarket starter I have throws the gear in from the engine side. Apparently the later 2.5L engines have a different flywheel/ring gear to allow for this? Anyway I will go back to original style when I find one.
Thanks
Ross

binch

This is a good lesson learned (for me I mean).   Thanks for letting us know.......

Can you PM me and tell me what make that starter is please?
Cheers, Bill

SpeedyJ

Hey Ross, I'm in Calgary and I have a spare from a '67 109 NADA six cylinder. I'd like to keep it as a spare, but you're welcome to use it if you're in pinch, you can either return it at a later date, or replace it with another when you can.. As far as I can tell the 2.25 and the straight six use the same starter.

RossM

Thanks SpeedyJ for the offer but I am not in a hurry. The engine is apart for cam, rollers timing chain and other bits.
Regards
Ross
You cannot view this attachment.