2.5 NA Transplanted...Now it won't start

Started by xmod109, November 14, 2018, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmod109

Nothing to pressure check, There is nothing coming out of the lines to the injectors. 

Red90

Sounds like the solenoid is not working or the line from the solenoid is plugged.

xmod109

The solenoid is fine and fuel bypasses through the pump but its not hitting the injectors. Might be a big airlock ooooorrrr the FIP is pooched. 

Red90

The solenoid only stops the fuel going to the injectors. It does not affect the bypass flow. If the line go stuff it it after the solenoid you would get the result you have.

xmod109

I've tried 2 different solenoids with the same results so is there a way to clear the line?

Red90

Unless you can get at anything that you can see when the solenoid is out the pump would need to come apart.

Red90

Have you also verified the solenoid is getting powered while the engine is cranking?

xmod109

I never considered it might lose power during the crank but I will verify that tomorrow.

Matt H

Quick way to check that would be to hot wire the solenoid directly from the battery.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

xmod109

Good call on the Stop Solenoid as voltage was dropping to 7v on crank... Jumpered it straight to the bus and......no change. Still no fuel, changed the solenoid and dry tested, everything worked as advertised but still no fuel going to the injectors.

There is however some shiny metal flake / particles in the solenoid well......nice in a snow globe, not in a fuel pump......

So i'll be draining the rad to get access to the front plate and changing out the FIP. 

Why do I like Land Rovers????

ugly_90

I read through your posts. I assume this is an unrebuilt 2.5NA, that you're fitting in a series? All fuel system componants were as-is used then of unknown history? Only lift pump is new?

xmod109

Yes, I rebuilt the engine before installation but didn't do any work on the FIP. New timing belt.  The engine sat for a few years after the rebuild.

It started twice after the install but with no exhaust or air filter on it so I shut it down pretty quick as it started to run away.  It hasn't run since.

I wanted to rule out everything else before the FIP as I really didn't want to have to strip the front again but not much choice at this point.  I have another pump that is "supposed" to be good so I'll give it a go after the the frustration and desire to beat it to death with a sledge subsides.

ugly_90

Perhaps i'm stating the obvious here, and I can understand your frustration. Have you priced out a new OEM injection pump, and four rebuilt OEM injectors?

The Britpart OEM injection pump and Allmakes OEM rebuilt injectors seem to be affordable. I'm unsure of the provenance of that BP part, but it may be your best option at this stage. The injection pump does have a very low margin of error before you start having potentially major problems. I was not happy with the BP lift pump, as it failed on me. The OEM lift pump seemed unavailable, and the genuine was expensive. I selected the Allmakes Chinese aftermarket lift pump, which was in at least a different manufacturing run than the BP part, as the assembly differed slightly.

Red90

Quote from: ugly_90 on January 15, 2019, 08:28 AM
The OEM lift pump seemed unavailable, and the genuine was expensive.

Aftermarket lift pumps are crap.  OEM are available.
https://www.lrdirect.com/ETC7869-supplied-by-allmakes-branded-delphi.html
https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rover-defender/defender-90-and-110/parts/engine/etc7869-g-delphi-fuel-lift-pump-2-5d-2-5td-and-200tdi.html

Make sure you are using a sedimenter.  Any dirt will jamb the non return valve in the lift pump open.

The Britpart injection pumps are from CAV (thus OEM).  New, not rebuilt.  But seem to not be available right now.  I would talk with Bill.  He also has a rebuilder that can be trusted.

xmod109

Thanks for the info,

I have new injectors ready to go and a used FIP that I was told was good but I'll talk to Bill about a shop to rebuild / inspect it so I hopefully wont run into any problems.