2.5 NA Transplanted...Now it won't start

Started by xmod109, November 14, 2018, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmod109

So I have completed the transplant of a 2.5 NA into my Series 3 109. After a day of bleeding the system and fixing issues, I managed to do 2 initial starts without the intake filter or any exhaust connected and it quickly ran away so I shut it down.  ;D

That was the middle of October. Since then, I manufactured a 2" exhaust for it and put a cone filter on the intake.

Now it won't start.  It cranks, drains the battery, smells like burning starter and refuses to start. I have bled the filter...again.
I have bled the injector pump...again
I have cracked lines at the injectors...again

I would appreciate any solutions you may have to my dilemma, except the "pour petrol all over it and push it out of the garage before lighting" or "put in a TDI5"

Thanks

camo388

I wonder if for some reason the fuel shut off is not opening.  But then I suppose this would not be the case if you can bleed the injectors??

xmod109

Fuel shutoff is opening. Im thinking maybe the lift pump is week and not building up the pressure to the injector pump....maybe?

xmod109

So this weekend I went to install a new lift pump....but had ordered the wrong one. (So if anyone needs a diesel lift pump for a 2.25 or early defender w/side ports, give me a shout)
Changed out gaskets on the fuel filter and banjo fittings so those are not leaking.
Re bled the entire system, including the injection pump, changed the solenoid valve, and

No matter how hard i crank it, no fuel, zero, nada, comes out the injector lines.

Does anyone have a breakdown for overhaul of the FIP? I am wondering if there is supposed to be a pressure /check valve at the fuel bypass port that regulated internal pump pressure?

Or maybe the lift pump is too weak

Matt H

If you are able to bleed the fuel system at the injectors then I wouldn't look to lift pump just yet. Even with a totally failed lift pump most old school diesels will at least idle.

I would run tests on the injection pump and injectors, assuming timing is good?

Will it run on ether? Some diesels are notoriously difficult to start if air gets into top end of the system and gets smashed into tiny bubbles.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on November 26, 2018, 06:31 AMIf you are able to bleed the fuel system at the injectors then I wouldn't look to lift pump just yet.
He is not getting fuel at the injectors.

Quote from: xmod109 on November 25, 2018, 06:16 PMNo matter how hard i crank it, no fuel, zero, nada, comes out the injector lines.

Have you verified the lift pump is pumping air free fuel to the injection pump?  Disconnect the line into the pump and stick it in a bucket.  Crank the engine.  You should fill the bucket quickly with clear, air free fuel.

If that test passes, hook it back up.  air you getting clean air free fuel from the body bleed on the injection pump when priming?

xmod109

OK,

New Lift Pump works better than the old. Nice air free feul at the filter and the FIP bleed screw.
However, the FIP is bypassing fuel back to the filter and nothing is coming out of the lines at the injectors.
Is there supposed to be a ball / check  / pressurizing valve under the return port adapter of the FIP?

I cant find any info or breakdown on it. Aaargh! >:(

binch

Well this is interesting.....I'm very curious what the issue is and why it won't fire up. :o
Cheers, Bill

xmod109

And I've just determined that the one way valve at port 3 of the fuel filter is now a 2 way valve. Anyone know the part number so I don't have to order 4 before I get the right one? ;D

binch

I wonder if that's the one on mine that I used for the supply to the diesel heater?

Dave Lovelock may have a new filter mount in his stash of stuff.... ::)
Cheers, Bill

xmod109

Anyone have an extra Defender fuel filter housing check valve lying around? Or maybe a part number?

Red90

AAU3509

You cannot view this attachment.

xmod109

xmod109

OK, new check valve installed, bled it once again, cranked it til i need a charge and still no fuel at the injectors.

I'm about ready for someone to come over and drag it up and down the street  ;D... or maybe just far enough away so that the flames won't melt my siding >:(

Matt H

You need to go through the high pressure side of the pump and fuel rails. Do you have a pressure gauge?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.