Around the world in a Land Rover. A wonderful couple I met in Moab

Started by Trevor, June 01, 2015, 06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

While I was in Moab I ran into a wonderful couple that are making their SECOND overland trip around the world. Roy and Michelle are the couple making the trip in their Defender 130 with a camper conversion. Their first trip around the globe was done in this vehicle and followed a route covering the southern hemisphere. This time they have mapped a route along the northern hemisphere with the intent of hitting the 70th latitude in NA, Europe and Russia.

They have a great website covering both their trips...

www.mundoporterra.com.br

Be sure to use the translate function on the website to see it in english.

We chatted for about 30 minutes with Roy and Michelle. What an absolutely fabulous couple. Incredibly friendly and willing to share stories of their travels. When they told me they were making their way to Alaska, I said "aha, you must come through Edmonton then and visit". They seemed very keen on that idea, and I offered them a room at my place should they need it for a few days. I really hope they do decide to come this way as it would be fantastic to have more time with them and hear their stories.

I also suggested that should they need some parts to let me know as we have a robust list of local options here to help them out. They were very responsive to that idea as they had been hoping to stock up on parts before heading to Russia.

They expected to be coming though sometime in August. They have all my contact information and I have thiers so I do plan to stay in touch. I just hope that they are not rolling through in early August while I'm on the AMT, but we will see.

I will keep you all posted as I get more info.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Great Job Trevor....sounds like a great excuse for an impromptu Gathering.    Maybe if they pass through Calgary they'd like to visit with the folks down there too?

Always nice to meet LR travellers ;)
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Keep us all posted.  I have a place they could stay out at Rocky for some peace and quiet.

Jim

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I heard from Roy and Michelle today. They are down in Salt Lake City and will be making there way up to Canada slowly over the next little bit. Likely sometime mid-August.

One thing they asked me about down in Moab that I had forgotten, was installing a Webasto heater. Since they are travelling to northern Siberia in the middle of winter, this would be a handy addition. I told them several people in the club had installed them, but I had no first hand knowledge on installing the units.

In short though, they do want to install one, they're on a budget so would like to do it themselves. I think it would be great if we as a club could lend them a hand with the install. Has anyone done the install of a Webasto and like to lend a hand with this? I would greatly appreciate the help, as would Roy and Michelle I am sure. 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Dave and I have installed two of them...or should I say Dave installed two of them and told me which way to spin the wrench  ;)    I'm game to help.    May want to suggest they look up the prices of the webastos in the states....not sure if they are going to be a better deal down there.   Eskimo refrigeration sells them here but I don't recall the price.   I think it was up about 900 cdn or so.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Thanks Bill, I will keep you posted as I learn more. Thanks for offering to help!
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

A quick update on Roy and Michelle's travels. They decided to do the Alaska leg first, then head back this way enroute to the coast. They will be arriving in Edmonton the second week of October, around the 12th. For those folks that raised a hand to offer to help with their Webasto heater install, tentatively I'm expecting it to be done on Oct 17 and I am planning to use my shop at API (6607-59 st) as we've got a lot of space there with air, cranes, lots of grinders, vices, welders, etc etc. But I will firm that up over the next week or so hopefully.
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

Folks, have a read over Michelle and Roy's last update. They made lat 70 in Russia!

http://www.mundoporterra.com.br/

From their write-up it soundsa like a pretty amazing journey. And they've got some fantastic pictures too.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

He sent me a note a couple of weeks back as he lost  nut holding his rear sway bar to the axle.    But in his usual jovial self he sourced a part and got on with things ;-)

Just finished reading the write up.....fantastic adventure.   And Vladimir reminds me of some of our northern folks...very tough individuals!!!!
Cheers, Bill

lropchan

Roy and Michelle had an update on facebook about an article Roy has written for Overlander Journal (if you buy or subscribe).
The Unknown Side of Afghanistan, Roy Rudnick
http://store.overlandjournal.com/fall-2017/

Trevor

Thanks for the note Lloyd!

Also worth noting, Roy and Michelle reached the 70th  in Norway recently, which was the final goal of their trip. Now the long trek home. They have some extremely interesting articles on their website telling about all the places they went through.
― George Orwell, 1984

lropchan

Michelle and Roy have a new book comping out and a video (in Spanish) promoting it. Even if you no puedo hablar español, it's worth watching for to get a sense of their adventure.

Matt H

Sitting here on my lunch break at work (not looking forward to compiling a list of problems with rusty sanding hoppers this afternoon) makes adventures like this and the fortunate few that actually manage to pull it off seem even more amazing!
Very KOOL indeed.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.