2018 Alexander Mackenzie Trail, West to East

Started by binch, December 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

headdamage

Not sure if I can go yet but if I did I need to chose between the 90 and the rrc ( both are diesel).

pechanec

I too vote no split group

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

binch

I got a note from Jeffrey and it sounds like he's replaced Lori as his co-pilot and found a Kiwi to join us ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Bill were you still thinking of having a planning meeting on the Saturday of the Easter weekend? If so, just wanted to let you know I won't be able to make it as that is the day we are going to do our big feast.

If someone could take some notes as to who is bringing what, to post here after the fact, that would be handy.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Trevor on March 23, 2018, 04:08 PM
Bill were you still thinking of having a planning meeting on the Saturday of the Easter weekend? If so, just wanted to let you know I won't be able to make it as that is the day we are going to do our big feast.

If someone could take some notes as to who is bringing what, to post here after the fact, that would be handy.

Sorry Trevor....I just got back from Hamilton last night from a 10day whirlwind driving tour.......I had not access to comms so I'm going to blow off any attempt at getting together this weekend until I get back from Kelowna Monday or Tuesday.    I'll be sending out an equipment form to find out who has what gear available to bring (spares, saws, tables, etc) which I'd like to get filled out before the meeting.   

So stand by folks and I'll be back online on Monday or Tuesday.

cheers, Bill
Cheers, Bill

binch

I've just sent out an update to the participants of this years AMT expedition.   If you didn't get your copy please let me know and I'll send it along.     This trip will be WEST to EAST this time around.   Should be a great trip...if the weather and fire season holds out  ;)
Cheers, Bill

tacomaj

Just a heads up boys, a group tried running it last week and made it just past the kluksoil park boundary. They ran into major deadfall from last years fire. They spent a couple days trying to get through but had to retreat.  Bring lots and lots of fuel for saws, and lots of saws

tacomaj

binch

That's good news for us then!!!  We are heading west to east and it sounds like they may have cleared some trail for us!!!   We cleared the entire trail in 2015 from the spring blowdown of all the pine beetle kill.    Sounds like the section from Basalt lake west to Gatcho lake has been closed by some locals upset with the damage down to the trail by a group in 2016.   We we are bypassing that section (including the 'wet hill' and the infamous 'alder grove') and we'll start at Egliuk lake.  The section from there all the way to the Mike and Linda Phillips ranch should be relatively clear.   The section to Tsacha lake may need widening again too.  And the section between Messue Crossing and Kluskus village should be cleared as well.   That leaves the burn over area from the 2010 to 2013 fires just east of the village.   

Did those folks say it was the burned timber starting to fall?   Or was it the Pine Beetle killed timber falling over again...that's always worth a bit of heart ache.    But unlike a certain expedition crew's second visit....we have plenty of saws, gas, cutting oil and operators trained to use the tools......not to mention plenty of time. 

It's going to be a good trip!!!     ;)
Cheers, Bill

tacomaj

Quote from: binch on July 11, 2018, 06:00 PM
That's good news for us then!!!  We are heading west to east and it sounds like they may have cleared some trail for us!!!   We cleared the entire trail in 2015 from the spring blowdown of all the pine beetle kill.    Sounds like the section from Basalt lake west to Gatcho lake has been closed by some locals upset with the damage down to the trail by a group in 2016.   We we are bypassing that section (including the 'wet hill' and the infamous 'alder grove') and we'll start at Egliuk lake.  The section from there all the way to the Mike and Linda Phillips ranch should be relatively clear.   The section to Tsacha lake may need widening again too.  And the section between Messue Crossing and Kluskus village should be cleared as well.   That leaves the burn over area from the 2010 to 2013 fires just east of the village.   

Did those folks say it was the burned timber starting to fall?   Or was it the Pine Beetle killed timber falling over again...that's always worth a bit of heart ache.    But unlike a certain expedition crew's second visit....we have plenty of saws, gas, cutting oil and operators trained to use the tools......not to mention plenty of time. 

It's going to be a good trip!!!     ;)

Yah it was burn from the big fire that happend in 2017. Why did the locals close the section of trail?

tacomaj

Yah we bypassed that section in 2016, came out the rainbow falls trail.

Rabbit91

The group that went last week said the burnt wood slowed down their saws, only carried 3 saws with them. We are headed to do the trail at the end of August, will be super curious to see how your trip goes!

binch

Well you should have a good time of it then!  We will have cleared the trail from one end to the other...or at least as far as the fishing camp at the NW corner of Egliuk lake :-)

We have at least 6 saws with our group and field sharpening is a cake.    We should finish nice and dirty then ahhahhahahhahah
Cheers, Bill

binch

Quote from: tacomaj on July 11, 2018, 06:14 PM
Why did the locals close the section of trail?

They said:  "because of the damage to the trails caused by a Toyota group in 2016".   But it was not said what group.

The natives around the Basalt lake area have been upset for some time now....I can't say exactly why as I don't really know.   But word was out that they wanted to stop everything but quads from going through that portion of the trail.
Cheers, Bill

tacomaj

Quote from: binch on July 12, 2018, 06:10 PM
Quote from: tacomaj on July 11, 2018, 06:14 PM
Why did the locals close the section of trail?

They said:  "because of the damage to the trails caused by a Toyota group in 2016".   But it was not said what group.

The natives around the Basalt lake area have been upset for some time now....I can't say exactly why as I don't really know.   But word was out that they wanted to stop everything but quads from going through that portion of the trail.

Strange. I wonder which group that was. Either way, that section of trail looks to be the most over grown off camber section of trail. We never did run it, as Walt lampard said it was super over grown and not ran for years, so we strait up by passed it. That rainbow falls trail was no joke either.