2018 Alexander Mackenzie Trail, West to East

Started by binch, December 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

LOL......try yelling out that nick name in a crowded room and see the reaction on the faces?!??!?!     ;D
Cheers, Bill

binch

Okay folks...the words in on the dates and the majority consensus was a Option 1:   

We leave home Saturday morning, JULY 28 to Sunday, with the intent of starting on at the trail head on the following Monday morning.   From there we plan to be on the trail  Aug 12th, 2018.    We are allowing two days travel time at the beginning and the end of the trip as it will be a long haul for some.    It is likely that we will be off the trail by August 8th, but we cannot guarantee it, hence the couple extra days.   The intent this time around is to start on the west end of the trail and work east, ending in Quesnell, BC. 

So, that's the gest of it.....A prospectus of trip will be sent to all those who have emailed me, with all the details of the trip itself.   If you have not been receiving those emails please send me a pm and I'll get you on the mailing list right away.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!! ;)

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Looking forward to it Bill!

I think the West-->East will be a nice change, and allow us to pace ourselves better...and include a bit more R&R time at some nice fishing spots too :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

I look forward to deciding on those fishing spots....We have some great options to explore ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

This is shaping up to be an amazing trip of a lifetime.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

What range of vehicles will be attending? RRC, Defender, Series, etc...

binch

Quote from: headdamage on January 27, 2018, 07:17 PM
What range of vehicles will be attending? RRC, Defender, Series, etc...

I'm trying to recall here but at this time we have 6 def 110 (4x300tdi & 2x200tdi), 1 def 90, one RRS, one 101fc, 1 disco1, 1 disco11, and I can't recall if there is a SWB series as well.

But the trail has been done with LR3s, RRC's, Series trucks (both lwb and swb).

AT this time I still anticipate approximately 50% drop out.   But if they all come along we may divide the group into two and go at the trail from both ends.   As it stands the initial plan is to do the trail from west to east, starting at Bella Coola and then Gotcha Lake.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on January 28, 2018, 11:29 AM

AT this time I still anticipate approximately 50% drop out.   But if they all come along we may divide the group into two and go at the trail from both ends.   As it stands the initial plan is to do the trail from west to east, starting at Bella Coola and then Gotcha Lake.

Juat as an aside Bill, if you get to the point where you are looking to split into 2 groups, you can remove my name from the list. I have no deisre to do a split group format.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Quote from: Trevor on January 28, 2018, 03:23 PM
Quote from: binch on January 28, 2018, 11:29 AM

Juat as an aside Bill, if you get to the point where you are looking to split into 2 groups, you can remove my name from the list. I have no deisre to do a split group format.

Based on the numbers we have now....I strongly doubt we'll be running two groups.
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

How much fuel would a 200tdi need to carry?

binch

In 2015 non of the 5 110's used a complete tank of fuel to complete the trip from Quesnell to Anahim.     When John and I did the trip in 2008 I used just over half a tank to complete the trip over the 6 days, while John used about a tank.   I lent john a Gerry can of fuel just to make sure he could get out.   So the diesels did very well for mileage.

The petrol vehicles  used a great deal more fuel on the trip.   I believe John estimated as much as 300lt were required for the petrol engines (v8 or 4 cylinder).
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on January 28, 2018, 09:58 PM

Based on the numbers we have now....I strongly doubt we'll be running two groups.

Rgr that Bill. Just wanted to give you a heads-up so there's no surprises.
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Quote from: headdamage on January 28, 2018, 11:03 PM
How much fuel would a 200tdi need to carry?

For our trip, I wrote it down.  The V8 guys refused to admit to how much fuel they used.  They brought a lot with them.  Bill and I were there as a team and coordinated our spare parts, tools, food and fuel.  I think he carried 4 jerry cans.  I used one.   It could be a higher number if a lot more time is spent clearing.  If the whole group coordinates these things, it works out to a lot less extra baggage.

Quote from: red90Just to note for future reference.  I used 54 liters (200 TDI 90 / military LT77 / 1.4 LT230).  binch used 60 liters (200 TDI 110 / R380 / 1.6 LT230).

Phil used more but he towed a RR for the last while....

The trip was 433 km between gas stations with around 200 km in low range.

Trevor

For my 300TDI defender 110 CT (I was the heaviest rig as well) I had a full seat tank and a full main tank when we left Quesnel, as well as 1 jerry can.

I burned about 1/4 of the main getting to the trail head from Quesnel. I then switched to my seat tank and ran it for the entire trail. I switched back to the main at Gotcho lake when we came off the trail as the seat tank was empty. The jerry can topped off the main tank.

― George Orwell, 1984