Vehicle Maintenance Clinic - Edmonton

Started by Red90, February 27, 2017, 07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Red90

Vehicle maintenance, diagnostics and spares carried discussion.  Oriented towards vehs like older Discoveries.

The Sports Car Clinic, Edmonton.

Contact lovejugs for more information.

Quote from: binch on March 06, 2017, 12:03 PM
Okay...here's the official poop on the Clinic....

Saturday, March 18, 2017 9am at the Sports Car Centre in Edmonton.
12116 - 121A street.     

Will look at general service, pre-trip inspections, spare parts and tool requirements for trips involving your series through to RRC and Disco 11's.

If you are interested in attending please contact Dave Lovelock.

Good chance there will be a social breakfast before the clinic  ;D

B-Red

binch

Start time hasn't been sorted out yet but we'll get that sorted out this week ;)    I expect it will start at 9 or 10am......time enough for a good social breakfast before hand ;D

This clinic will be aimed at the older Landies up to the early discos and RRCs.    Lots of good info to share with the club here.....   
Cheers, Bill

binch

Reminder...

Okay...here's the official poop on the Clinic....

Saturaday, March 18, 2017 9am at the Sports Car Centre in Edmonton.
12116 - 121A street.     

Will look at general service, pre-trip inspections, spare parts and tool requirements for trips involving your series through to RRC and Disco 11's.

If you are interested in attending please contact Dave Lovelock.

Good chance there will be a social breakfast before the clinic  ;D
Cheers, Bill

binch

Well....?  How'd it go?   Did you learn anything....? ???
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

I learned some interesting differences between a 55 S1 and a 59 S2. I learned about zinc in oil and its importance for old cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenome

Sorry, got interrupted....

I learned about "toe in" and about sticker style block heaters.

We talked about breather plugs and how they work.

And I wasn't even there that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lropchan

Including Bert and Dave, there were 14 people in attendance. After casual introductions (which felt a bit like a Monty Python sketch with 3 Dave's there), the first obstacle was to remove the cap from the Tim Hortons coffee traveller - it seems they made sure not a single drop would be wasted. Finally, Bert, in an act of heroics, saved the day and released the live giving nectar (for those that drink that sludge :) ).

It was then decided that the first donor vehicle would be Chris' Series truck. So, up the hoist she went. Dave reviewed things to watch for, things to check, some how to's, some maintenance items and some tip and tricks. Somewhere along the way the discussion turned to wading plugs, what they are, when to use them and most importantly the need to remove them. Unfortunately for Chris the experience added a couple of things to his "to do" list as he has to look into a possible fuel leak and front passenger wheel bearing seal leak (I think I got those right).

With enough added to Chris' todo list, Orville was the next victim, err, volunteer, and his Disco 2 made the trip up the hoist. Fortunately for Orville, he was spared the same fate as Chris, and there was only discussion about components and characteristics of the Discovery models.  There was a lengthy discussion on breather valves on axles, what they do, how they work, why they often don't and some ways to make them work better.

Overall there was good dialogue on what others experienced, problems they had, good fixes and tips for maintenance and repair. Basically the good, the bad and the ugly, (or the subtitle of the Land Rover maintenance manual).  :)

Everything wrapped up just before noon giving everyone time to enjoy the rest of a beautiful, sunny day. Next time, perhaps, a BBQ is in order for lunch.

You can find pictures of the event on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1444121172286028.1073741844.100000644770133&type=1&l=4ef51f1dd4

A big thanks to Dave for organizing the event and doing most the talking (you know how hard it is to get Dave to talk about these things), and to Bert and The Sports Car Centre for letting the club invade his space.

binch

Great write up!  Sounds like folks got something out of the clinic..that's great!!!
Cheers, Bill