Radio Communications; AMT Trip

Started by ugly_90, April 21, 2015, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

After some consideration, i've decided to open this thread to inform and discuss on communications support for the AMT trip; the CB support function will improve performance of field events in general. Communications is given an interest here, as it is a logistics function, and is often noted as a point of improvement after events and incidents of other groups. I'll try to keep the technical jargon out, and keep this written for the layman. Most of the content herein will be operational pre-trip, and should not have been entered into the prospectus for the sake of brevity.

I'll be posting photos here in coming weeks of the efforts i've gone through in preparing communications for this trip.

Those who are uninterested need not review the postings herein.

ugly_90

I note that we've had CB and radio clinics in the past, which is good, but see no record of anything so far this year.

It's very common for vehicle installations to have or develop poor antenna matches, particularly at CB frequencies, depending upon the nature of the install. A fault here will greatly impact radio coverage in the field.

I've arranged for Ian to measure CB antenna matches at the upcoming May 6th meeting at Sideliner's Pub. If you're interested, bring your CB installed in your landrover to the meeting, and he'll do a quick measurement at the back of the radio set inside the vehicle's cab, and give you a pass/fail indication. Well worth being prepared for the trails this summer.

It will be nearly as easy a measurement as tire pressure.

No repairs will be performed, it will be up to the owner to follow-up with any findings from the quick check.

Red90

What you really need to do is teach people how to use a mic....   ;D  A few people do great impressions of the swedish chef.

binch

A radio clinic....now there's an idea for a weekend or mid week evening doo......Now we just need someone to organise it  ;)  Or should I say...."push di mergen indo stuffin and swich der ondo de pushki ;D
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

The components for a CB setup are as follows:
1- A good CB with a DC power source.
2- An 18 ft Antenna Cable. I was told length is related the resistor value and antenna clarity.
3- Antenna mounting base.  Or magnetic, perminant, roof, back door or front bumper.
4- Antenna itself.
Each component can be tested and verified individually. The whole assembly then can be tuned together.
I used handheld unit on few trips. It was a challenge to transmit from, but was ok to receive from others.