2017 Mountain Hikes with Camping in Kananaskis Country

Started by B-Red, January 30, 2017, 11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

Good ay fellows,

I am considering planning hikes into the mountains on established trails in the Kananaskis area.  I looked at this couple of years ago but the areas that I wanted were affected by the floods the previous years. 

The intent is that we drive to the designated site, set up camp for the weekend and then do hikes on foot to the summits of these trails as day hikes.  There is not much of damage or offloading in place.  However, it will require an appropriate level of fitness to handle the hikes.

I am looking to see who would be interested, their skill/endurance level as being beginner, intermediate or advanced as well as summer month that works best, being May, June, July or August.
These are intended to be outings for families with children of all ages.  Please indicate your interest before the February 18 event planning meeting.

Cheers,

Emad

Red90

Make sure you look into camping in that area in advance.  I'm not really a car campsite camping guy, but as I understand things, you need to book and you can't just show up any more.

Trevor

I'm not a hiking guy at all Emad, but I do know that the Kananaskis area is super-busy as John mentioned. I've got a few friends that head there every summer and they are typically booking campsites well in advance. I think they said there is a time every year when bookings open (maybe early in the year??? I dunno), and that you really need to get on the horn with them right away or you won't get a campsite.

I guess point being, you might want to have another area in your hip pocket for hiking. Kakwa Falls is pretty cool, dunno what they have for hiking in that area though.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Here: https://reserve.albertaparks.ca/

QuoteOnline Booking is Closed
Will return
Feb 21, 2017

There are some private places as well that may be easier to use.

If you do want suggestions on trails, I've hiked pretty much everything.

B-Red

Thank you fellows for your input.  I am getting good emails as well.  I will wait to see the participating group before I dive into selecting the trails to hike.

John, would love to get your input on some of the available trails in the area and the camp sites.  I am planning a trip down south this week and Calgary will be a stop overnight for me.  I will contact you to see if you got time for coffee on Saturday.

As well, feel free everybody to post some ticking trial options here for us to explore.  My intent is to keep the driving within 4-5 hours roughly for all participants within Alberta so we can have a large turn out with families.

It is after all the 150th Anniversary....lets make it a big one.

Cheers,