Gold Trails and Ghost Towns, 2017?

Started by ugly_90, November 05, 2016, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

There seemed to be some interest in these trips for the past year.

The concept would be to visit remote placer gold bearing areas for offroading, exploring, camping, fishing, and recreational gold panning. I note that most of Barkerville area and lots of Manson Creek are claimed up.

From my memory, no active mining on a claim is permitted within three metres of a streambank, and recreational panning is allowed in that exclusion area if only a pan and shovel are used.

In my last trip to Barkerville, the locals were quite accomodating, and I ensured I was respectful.

Two areas of particular interest are the Wells-Barkerville, BC area of the Cariboo and also the  Germansen and Manson Creek, BC area of Omineca.

Wells-Barkerville is a family friendly area, with plenty for families to do at the historic town of Barkerville and the nearby village of Wells.

Germansen and Manson Creek are much more remote, and I expect its less developed than Barkerville. I doubt there is much to interest a family there. I've made it only as far as Mackenzie BC, and that was empty enough.

I hope such areas would give more to do in the short span of time people have off. Neither are horribly far from Edmonton, each a full day's drive.

if there's enough interest, the trip would need my recce in the spring, and be timed for late summer, when creek and river levels are lowest.

http://www.barkerville.ca/

http://www.mansoncreek.com/

binch

hmmm Manson creek looks interesting.... :D
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

There may be local support of having a landrover group in the Omineca area. A Canadian Rangers group improved a trail a few years back, and i've found the article here:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/community/131366453.html

binch

Kool....now the question is.....did they clear the trail wide enough for a quad or a truck? ::)
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

I'm sure the trail was cut at least as wide as a scottish farm gate to allow landrovers through.  ;).

I don't know, really. I think the trip could use a recce in the spring. Its still too wet out here to risk much of a trip now, often freezeup comes earlier than this here.

if someone wants to lead trip planning with the club for Edmonton, send me a PM. It'll be difficult for me to visit Edmonton for the same.

Matt H

Quote from: ugly_90 on November 15, 2016, 01:09 PM
I'm sure the trail was cut at least as wide as a scottish farm gate to allow landrovers through.  ;).

???
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Adam,  Why not contact those folks in Vanderhoof and ask them about the trail condition and if they know about access rights.    Then maybe we can see about pursuing this as a possible trip.
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Hi Adam,

Chating with few fellows for events for next summer, yours seems to be most feasible with geography and challenge level.  Let me know when you are next in town and we can figure out the trip.  I can assist in organizing up the trip.
Emad

ugly_90

I'll send you an email Emad.

A potentially related trip is HWY 29 in BC, from Chetwynd to Hudson ' s Hope, to Charlie Lake just north of Fort St. John.

It's a day trip,  some areas of the peace river valley are very picturesque, and like the premise in the film " Deliverance", much of the area is due to be flooded with the controversial " Site C " dam being built in the area. Potentially a limited time to see some parts of the existing river, perhaps parts of the roadway may be moved too, I don't know.

It may fit in with a return trip, but if I hear dueling banjos, I'm out.. :)

pechanec

we are willing to help with recon if needed

ugly_90

Excellent, there seems to be interest, and further consideration may come in the upcoming trip planning meeting. Recce will be needed, regardless if the trip happens this year, or in the next few years.

This may fit in before spring breakup, although it has been a mild winter around here. I'll send you a PM, and arrange this in early March or so.

Recce would potentially be Chetwynd, BC to Manson Creek, BC.