Gauges upgrade for Defender

Started by B-Red, April 05, 2015, 07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I recently had my 200 TDI Defender fitted with a Phantom Pyrometer gauge and an oil transfer temperature gauge. I like the white face colour of these gauges against the old black dull original gauges.
My existing Oil temperature sensor and Coolant Temp sensor run very close to red all the time. It is difficult to actually know when the vehicle is over heating.
Am interested in upgrading these two to new phantom dials and senders. Am also interested in swapping the speedometer with a new dial. Adding a Tachometer would also help keeping the RPMs under control.
Any idea where I can find these? I was not able to find the web site for the manufacture.

Red90

Autometer Phantom?

http://www.autometer.com/gauges/phantom.html
http://www.egauges.com/Phantom-s/21019.htm

They don't do a 4" speedometer.  They don't do a 2-1/16" tach.  4" speedos are not common.  Tachs that work with alternators are also harder to find.

Trevor

I use the Autometer's as well, they're a good guage. If you haven't had one installed already Emad you should get one of their pyrometre's installed.

If you have your heart set on swapping out the main speedo and adding a tach, its probably worth while searching some of the UK sites and websites to see if there are any complete sets available that replace the entire dash guage assembly. I have seen many restored vehicles in magazine articles using new guage sets, but I don't know if those are from kits or replaced individually.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

Thanks John for the link. Trevor, I fixed my spelling..I have the Pyrometer installed for the turbo unit temperature.

I found this link about diesel tachometer sensors. http://youtu.be/HhLPAPZxNsM
It's with Autometers products. Anybody had something like this on their TDI engine.

The gauges diameter to fit in the cluster is a challenge with the Speedometer. Unless I change the cluster all together. Some homework to do here.

Red90

I've never heard of anyone building completely different clusters other than one off customs ones and none I've seen are an improvement.  I've looked at doing it in the past.  There is not the space available to do a 3-3/8" (the common size) tach and speedo while retaining the stock warning cluster, so you need to do a complete custom warning light system, making it a big project, if done well.  The problem is that to make more space, you need to change the heater controls.

VDO are a better choice for the tachs as all of their units work with alternators directly and they have the smaller range for the TDIs.  Lots of options for white faces with their gauges.  Not sure how well they match to the Phantoms.

You really need to step back and figure out a complete package if you want to replace everything.  VDO Vision is the only easy to find gauge set that will fit all of the stock locations.  They look and work very well, but don't give you that white dial.

On the pyrometer question, IMO, it is best to have a digital solution that allows for an alarm and peak memory.  There are a few nice economical solutions available.  If I were doing a new truck, I would probably do a MadMan EMS2.

Red90

Quote from: B-Red on April 05, 2015, 10:11 AMI found this link about diesel tachometer sensors. http://youtu.be/HhLPAPZxNsM
It's with Autometers products. Anybody had something like this on their TDI engine.

This only works with the 2888 and 3788 models, both of which are 2-5/8", so too big to fit.  It is also what I would call a pretty crappy, hack job of a method.

This is probably the best white dial option I can see: http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A2C53210901-S but, you are still pretty stuck with a speedo.

Red90

Here is an example of a 3-3/8" tach in a standard panel.  You could do both 3-3/8" speedo and tach with two other small gauges, but you need to make your own warning lights.  I'm not sure how you would get the Phantom tach to work, but you could use the VDO Viewline series and it would work and you get the white dials.

B-Red

Looking at the cluster in prospective, adding the Tach in it throws spacing out of balance. Re-engineering the warning light cluster also not a simple task. I would consider mounting the tack in the middle of the dashboard.

I was intrested in the Phantom brand to keep the installed ones in line. Otherwise, I would have to scrap and start again.

At this stage, I just would like to improve my two gauges so I can get accurate temperatures on my oil and coolant before the trip.

Red90

The easiest method is VDO vision. You can replace all the gauges easily.

Red90

B-Red

Nice setup John. Is it possible to get the speedometer in km/hr?
Did you have to replace the senders?

Red90

Quote from: B-Red on April 05, 2015, 04:04 PM
Nice setup John. Is it possible to get the speedometer in km/hr?
Did you have to replace the senders?

The Viewline series?  Yes, certainly as they, but they are harder the find in North America.  I have a local VDO guy that should be able to get them.  The Vision ones are readily available in km/h at the same price as mph.  When I got mine they were really expensive in kmh.  I programmed my so it reads km/h, even though it says mph.

Senders depends on the gauge.  For the speedo, you get a Land Rover vehicle speed sender that mounts to the transfer case.  The normal one used on TD5 Defenders is the best choice.  Pressure and temperature gauges need a VDO sender.  Fuel gauge uses the stock Land Rover sender.  Tach uses the alternator tach output.