2003 Disco Radio

Started by bumpydormobile, July 25, 2016, 11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bumpydormobile

Well it's official... I bought Bert's Disco today.  Part of me thinks I'm crazy but I'm happier than a pig in shizza.
Time to start spending more money.  I need tips or advice on a stereo that will work in it. Also looking for a winch bumper and advice
about what tires are a good choice for decent off road but not to noisy...anyone with Cooper Discovery tires?

Thanks
David

Matt H

Congratulations.

Talk to Trevor. He has a really nice G4-D2 that's pretty much dialed in. He can tell you all about what works for what type of use/terrain.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

For aftermarket stereo's, I'd go see the guy at Certified Radio. Tell them I sent you, and ask for Matt or Alvin. They put the systems in both my D2 and my Defender (I've got BIG systems in both). They do great work, but they are also not the cheapest shop in town either.

If you were wanting to do the work yourself you can go with pretty much whatever standard head unit you like and the speaker setup is also standard (separates in the front, mid/high combo speaker in the rear slots, then a bass bin in the back if you so choose).

For winch bumpers, I run the Terra Firma winch bumper. You can see pictures of mine on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_-fc9qRpSujKnQMcvgK7g

This is a great bumper because it really enhances the approach angle of the D2's. It's also got a handy holder for the winshield washer bottle. However, you will need to cut your grill if you go that route. If you don't want to do that, then you'll need to look at any of the larger ARB-type bumpers. I'm not a big fan of those because they bury your winch in the bumper and make it hard to see/get at, but that's just me.

Regarding tires, are you planning on running them year round, or are you going to be putting winter tires on?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

Welcome to the Discoteck corner Dave.
I have the ARB bumper. It's heavy. Needs two people to lift it. So, you would need to change your shocks and springs. They hold well thought.

I also used the Brit Part bumper on my other Disco. Practical unit and worked well. It does rust quickly. Paint work is poor.

Then you got the rest of the drive train to play with.

I use Kangaroo winch. Two units. Works very well for me.

Cheers

binch

start with you tires first David.   That's the first step...    I think the largest size tire you can put on the disco is a 31" tall tire (have to confirm that) without doing mods to the fenders and panels.    The duratracs you use on the dormobile are the same I believe?    They aren't a bad tire for moderate off road and they are pretty good in the winter too!   But what level of offroading would you like to get into for starters.

Then there maybe some other avenues you may want to pursue next.   Like converting the transfer case to a locking model (if it doesn't do it now).   You may also want to consider moving some electrics higher in the vehicle if you plan to do any wading.

Front bumpers....lots to choose from and a very large price range too.  But look for a unit that doesn't ruin the approach angle.     You might want to put on a rear steel bumper too as the overhang on the disco two is quite a bit more then the disco 1.     My winch bumper is from Britpart and it's doing fine.   And it has a low profile.   I sent a link of an offroad bumper made in the UK that comes with an aluminium washer bottle too.    All for 250 quid!   That's a very good price for a pretty good product.    If you order it uncoated you could have it galvanized and then paint it.   That would out last the truck I'm sure. 

Lots of options......Susan and I will be back on Thursday evening...give me a call over the weekend and we can meet at Timmies to talk ;-)

cheers,. Bill
Cheers, Bill

bumpydormobile

Thanks for the info guys.
I watched some of Trevor's video's of Moab... I nearly crapped my pants for him :o
Oh the Humanity!!!!

David