What is the story behind this one?

Started by headdamage, June 08, 2016, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

I thought that was Alan Yim's for a second but wrong bumper.....   I don't know that vehicle...anyone  out there recognise it????

Cheers, Bill

88Hillman

I'm pretty sure the frame is full of holes, the engine is cooked, the transmission only has reverse and the diffs are blown... so nobody go look at it.   ;)

Honestly, no idea about who had this or the condition.  It just looks like what I wanted for the family last year though!

Cheers,
Kirk

ugly_90

Good find.

Condition really doesn't matter so much here. I expect price is what you should worry about. If it has the engine you want and the frame is ok, that should be enough. If you're paying anything like $12k, a private sale may be more worthwhile for you.

Unfortunately, you'll find RB Auction to be very good salesman, with a high listing fee looking for top dollar. It was interesting to see all the valuations listed by them without note of any appraisal, etc. All their auctions are unreserved, from what I recall. They might as well be with a high reserve, as they have an ability to bring interest and high prices.

I would be more interested in being a seller, rather than a buyer at several auction houses here.

The vehicle is worth a thorough inspection as it stands, and a careful low bid.

Trevor

Quote from: ugly_90 on June 09, 2016, 03:26 PM
Good find.

Condition really doesn't matter so much here. I expect price is what you should worry about. If it has the engine you want and the frame is ok, that should be enough. If you're paying anything like $12k, a private sale may be more worthwhile for you.

Unfortunately, you'll find RB Auction to be very good salesman, with a high listing fee looking for top dollar. It was interesting to see all the valuations listed by them without note of any appraisal, etc. All their auctions are unreserved, from what I recall. They might as well be with a high reserve, as they have an ability to bring interest and high prices.

I would be more interested in being a seller, rather than a buyer at several auction houses here.

The vehicle is worth a thorough inspection as it stands, and a careful low bid.

Fyi, RB doesn't run a reserve unless you pay for it. A good many items aren't on reserve because its just not cost effective to do so. Worth noting, this one is also listed as no reserve, but I'm not sure what that means either as he's got a list price of 12k as well.

I'm not sure how you figure condition doesn't matter though, just price. That bit confuses me. How does one get to a price without first establishing condition?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

Trevor, it brings on a wider discussion here. The point I made was that I expect you'll find the marketing from RB to surpass your ability to get a deal from them. If you end up paying "full pop" for a used truck at auction, then why then didn't you just buy for the same from a dealer or private sale with greater care? In that case, there is no upside.

Sorry for the cloudy view, but still seeing heavy equipment and real estate going for plenty here in GP at auction at RB. I would hope a member would get this 110 at the price they want, but you will be standing against a crowd where the suggested asking price is only a rounding error for them.

I did buy a running 110 three door for $3k, it wasn't at RB, and the truck is in Ontario now. That happened to be a private sale, with plenty of upside. A small auction house, maybe might find the same. RB Auction though, I wish you good luck, and anticipate you'll be paying what the truck is worth. To me, this would negate the whole auction concept as a buyer, as it is used equipment, and not artwork.

Cruzer

If interested in defender just email the guy and ask him about it, or go inspect it

B-Red

I bought vehicles from auctions before. You get to view it's curb appeal and then hear the engine run for the drive in.
I won't bid only on such car. I would set from start to end. Coffee and food are not bad usually. Watch the bidders and you will know the dealers. If it's in right range kick in and bid without egging.

Assume you are getting a fixer upper car at auctions. You won't get disappointed.

Body panels look alright. So, few dollars spent on it and she is a $35k car

mike.heathcote

Looks like somebody picked it up for $22,000. 

binch

Cheers, Bill

SpeedyJ

I had a look at it on Saturday. It wasn't a bad truck, but there was a lot of galvanic corrosion on the doors and rust around the door frames. Started and ran well though, shift linkage was sloppy and the headliner sagged.

I stopped bidding at $15000, the buyer was from PQ, so they didn't see what I saw.

Red90

Should have stayed around and bought this: https://www.rbauction.com/1997-GMC-YUKON?invId=9257604&id=ci  The Mattracks are worth more than what the truck sold for.

SpeedyJ

I saw that, but I couldn't abide by just how ugly that Suburban was. Mattracks are cool, but I'm a bit desensitized, we probably have 30+ sets around the shop for UTVs used in seismic.

mike.heathcote

@Bill, no I wish it was...  A bit rich for me, but I would've loved the truck all the same!  :)

Lightningpower

I'm glad my wife didn't see the 'Burb with the tracks or I'd spend the next ten years fixing that heap. I looked at the 110 and found it quite corroded, but at least I'd have been doing happy fixing it.