May Long Weekend - Cypress Hills

Started by Matt H, March 19, 2015, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Matt H

Plans have changed. Yoda and my lot will be returning to tent camping at Cypress Hills this year instead of using the extortionate lodge. I will post up the campground information once we have organized one.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Matt H

Be good to catch up you again John. Long time no see.

B-Red

I won't be able to join up this year. Have fun fellows.

Matt H

If anyone is interested in camping at this years May Long in Cypress Hills we (Yoda and I) have sites reserved in the 'Rainbow' campground, sites R30 and R31.
There are many other sites near by these two in the Rainbow campground that are currently available but it would be best not to leave it too late as spots tend to fill up fast as we get closer to the May Long.

Sites can be viewed and reserved on the Sask parks website.

Dave + family are staying at the Cypress Hills lodge this year.

Any questions or if you need assistance, directions etc just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

Looks like the weather is planned to be as per normal....

QuoteCypress Hills (Provincial Park), SK

Sat, 16 May   Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 9.
Night   Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low minus 2.
Sun, 17 May   A mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of flurries. High 8.
Night   Clear. Low minus 3.

binch

Would be really nice to have a foot of snow again!!   That was a hoot of a trip and you didn't even have to go far to have a great time!!!! ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Well at least we won't need to worry about excessive dust and bugs.  8)

binch

Have a great weekend folks!!!    I look forward to reading about it on Tuesday  ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

So...How'd the weekend at cypress hills go?
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Well another May Long is in the books and as always the weather was a real mixed bag.
This year we had just the usual suspects. Dave and Michelle came down from Edmonton and Yoda + myself and family from the Med Hat area.

For the most part the weather was agreeable but Sunday morning did present a nights worth of rain and a little snow so the traditional Gap Road to Fort Walsh run was a fairly muddy affair.

Joy (my wife) piloted my 300TDI/R380 DI instead of her LR3 for the first time off road while I drove the Mighty Range Rover and she did a fantastic job churning through the muck like a seasoned pro. At the end of the trail the DI hardly looked Dirty at all. The same could not be said for Michelle's JKU however. I'm not sure how much weight the roof is designed to hold but I'm pretty sure the 300lbs of mud was exceeding the limit. 

As you may be aware May long Weekend in many parks is a dry (no alcohol) weekend. However, we all learned a new sign language idiosyncrasy. Thanks to Dave's interpretations, it turns out that the sign for a 'swift half' and the sign for 'a chat' are identical! So we all chatted along famously for hours after running the trail.

Disappointingly there seems to be a universal ban on traversing trails that are not graded. This means unless you fancy a 10 day hike or own a horse 85% of the park is closed to you. But seeing as the weekend is mostly about camping and catching up with old friends while making new ones anyway, we didn't let that spoil the mood.

We invited our friends (Dwyane and Charlene+family) out for the weekend so they could see what all of the LR fuss was about and while they were reluctant to take their late model Dodge Durango out on the trail with us they did ride shotgun and  I'm pleased to report they are now considering buying a Land Rover Discovery of their own.

Anyway, pictures to follow but suffice to say we all had a great time. Plenty of horse trading (Dave is a dangerous man to know, I now have a D90 and he has my SI 80") lots of catching up and lots of laughs. Next year we are looking at organizing a group camping area rather than the traditional cabin/campsite booking so mark it off on your calendars as it is sure to be fun time for all.

binch

Sounds like another great weekend!!!!    Looking forward to chatting with dave about it and seeing the pics.

cheers, bill
Cheers, Bill