Land Rover Newbie looking for some advice

Started by peterlucas, April 08, 2016, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterlucas

Hoping somebody with a little more Land Rover experience can help me with a choice I need to make. A little over a week ago I bought a 2002 Discovery. Never owned one,  always wanted to try one so went for it. I do all my own repairs from motor swaps to brake jobs so I'm not a mechanical newbie. The Discovery I bought has quite a substantial oil leak, looks like pan gasket and probably rear main seal. Not the end of the world, but a messy driveway nonetheless. Once warmed up, engine gets quite a knock in it. I'm assuming from research that it has a slipped sleeve, not positive just a guess. The body, interior, transmission, electrical are perfect. I'm trying to decide do I look for an engine and just suck it up and fix it or do I just sell it and try to get my money back? I have $2000 into it as it sits. The problem is, it's my daily driver and I can't afford to be without it. I work 4 on/4 off so lots of time to do a motor swap on days off, its just trying to afford it right now. I know it's a decision I have to make, just looking for advice

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Matt H

Slipped liners are not as common as the Internet would have you believe. Make 100% sure that is the case before you condemn the engine. Start with a compression test and cylinder leak down test.

If the pan is leaking anyway l suggest you pull it and look for signs of a slipped liner. Usually you would remove the heads to check this (slipped liners usually announce themselves as a head gasket leak) but signs can also be found in the crank case. Look for evidence of movement in the cylinder bores and staining indicating compression/combustion leakage into the crank case.

What oil are you using?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

peterlucas

I haven't added oil since I got it  but it is down a liter now. The previous owner was using 10w30 in it. I was thinking of trying 15w40 and see what that does for the leak. I do have a code for cyl 3 misfire, was thinking if it has slipped sleeve maybe it's on #3. Pan gasket is no big deal to change, rear main would suck but not a deal breaker. I really like it and it is in really good shape, just don't feel like dropping  $1200 for an engine right now if the sleeve has slipped

Matt H

I use diesel 15w40 in my Range Rover Classic that has a very similar 3.9L V8. It seems to like it.

If your not smoking out the neighbours with blue death from the exhaust pipe the oil loss is likely due to your previously described leaks. The rear main is always a pain, in any vehicle.

First test compression. That will tell you a lot about your engine condition. Then go buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope from Princess Auto and try to pinpoint the knock. You can use a long screwdriver held up to your ear if you don't want to buy one but they don't cost very much.

Remember that noises in engines travel and what sounds like the bottom end falling to bits can sometimes be just a loose injector hammering away. Don't jump to 'worst case scenarios' before you have eliminated all other possible causes.  I've been guilty of doing that myself.

If it turns out the liner is the issue, you just need to find a decent 4.0L or 4.6L block from a junked Disco 1/2 or P38 Range Rover. Not the end of the world. There are plenty to be had last I checked.

peterlucas

Thanks for the input. There's no smoke whatsoever coming out of the tailpipe. 99% of my oil consumption is leaks. I'm gonna grab a compression tester on my next days off and give it a go. My engine temp stays right in the middle of the gauge and my coolant level stays the same and the coolant is clean. No sign of any coolant contamination in the oil either.

The previous owner didn't try to hide anything from me. He was completely honest about everything, to the best of his knowledge. He said the engine knock had been there for over a year and the engine was never overheated. He said he was told by a Rover mechanic that the knock was rocker arms or lifters. I disagree with that but I could be wrong

Matt H

Rover V8's need to be really clean to run correctly. They will still run all coked up but sticking valves, noisy lifters and high cam wear is common in units that haven't seen regular servicing. These conditions can all cause knocks in the valve train so the previous owners mechanic could be right in suspecting the top end.

No smoke and no apparent head gasket issues is certainly encouraging news.

Red90

Take the valve covers off and see if there are any loose rockers.  The valve train is well known for wear and problems. Keep in mind it is an GM engine designed in the late fifties.

peterlucas

A set of valve cover gaskets wouldn't hurt it a whole lot as they're leaking too. It's kind of been my plan to do anyway,  just might be sooner rather than later. The intake manifold has to come off to get the valve covers off doesn't it?

Red90

Quote from: peterlucas on April 09, 2016, 02:57 PMThe intake manifold has to come off to get the valve covers off doesn't it?

I would hope not...  I have not worked on one of these modern marvels.  It would be pretty silly if you did.  Matt probably knows.

peterlucas

I know, I couldn't believe it either. I don't see any other way to get the valve covers off without pulling the intake

Matt H

If the engine has a large, black rectangular intake manifold that is embossed with a 4.0 then it's a "GEMS" engine and rocker cover gaskets can be changed without removing the intake manifold.

If it has a intake manifold that looks like bunch of tubes laying on top of the engine then you have "Thor" engine and the throttle body and upper section of the intake needs to be removed to gain access to the rocker covers.

It's essentially the same engine just with different intake/fuel injection arrangements.

Behold the wonderful world of component packaging on modern vehicles.

peterlucas

Yup, I have the "Thor" engine. I couldn't see any other way to do it other than removing the intake. Really poor setup

Matt H

Yeah, that's a bit of a mystery why it was designed this way? Ever since the Rover V8 first came into being the rocker covers have all leaked.

Either the boffins at LR thought they finally had this problem fixed (unlikely).
Or they wanted to retain a low bonnet height just figured 'So What?' (Likely).

If you do take the upper intake off its also a really good time to take a close look at the coil pack and ign wires at the back of the engine.  They are a real SOB to get at with it all in place.

peterlucas

The plan is to replace the plug wires while I have it off and replace the plugs when I do the compression test. From what I can see, which isn't much, it looks like quite a bit of my oil leak is coming from the intake side of the valve covers. It looks like a substantial amount of oil running down the back side of the engine from the top

I appreciate all the suggestions and info. I've decided I like the old thing too much to just dump it. I've got all the gaskets on order and going to dig into it once they arrive

peterlucas

My knock is starting to frustrate me a little. I used a mechanics stethoscope and was unable to pinpoint the sound. For the last 2 days, it didn't do it at all. Today, it started doing it. Bizarre