Hi from South Africa

Started by Rocketscientist, March 22, 2016, 12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketscientist

Hi everyone.

I'm currently in South Africa. We're exploring the idea of emigrating to Canada, but I'm not sure if I would be able to bring my Landy with me.

I realise that the newer ones (a 2005 TD5 90 and a 2010 FL2) would have to stay behind, but I would like to bring my 1977 SIII SWB. It is obviously a RHD. From what I've been able to find out is that I would most likely be able to bring it into Canada, but I might not be able to get it licensed.

I would like to hear from you if it is possible to license a RHD Landy. Otherwise, if I do a LHD conversion, would I be able to license it then?

Thanks

Gert

Trevor

Greetings Gert, and welcome to our forum.

I imported a 98 Defender 110 RHD a few years ago and had no problems at all registering or insuring it in the province of Alberta. What is important to remember is that you have two levels of laws to navigate with vehicle import and inspection: federal and provincial.

Generally speaking the federal restrictions are more broad and cover things like the year of the vehicle (15 years or older for import from anywhere other than US and Mexico), day time running lights for anything newer than (i think) 1994, and a few other items. There are no restrictions on RHD at the federal level.

Provincial laws are more detailed and this is where you might run into restrictions on RHD. I am not familiar with the laws in other provinces, but that would be the first important bit of information to answer your question...in what province are you planning to live.

Worth noting you will need both a federal and provincial  inspection for the vehicle.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Best check on the regs for immigrating into Canada with a 'newer then 15 year vehicle'.     I'm not sure that there isn't an exemption with personal property (your landies) and the resale time permitted once it's here.    But you may have more leeway  then someone importing a vehicle into Canada.

The RHD vehicles are becoming more difficult to insure in many provinces and there are a few that will not allow you to register it as well.    RHD (unless very unique) could also have limitations on resaleability in some provinces because it is RHD.

Have you any idea which province you are thinking of coming to to start?    As Trevor says...each province is different when it comes to reg and insurance. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Rocketscientist

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.
We're hoping to come to Alberta, but it depends on where I can find employment.

We're still very early in the process, but I'll cry my eyes out if I have to leave Mr. Chuffy in S.A.

I'll try to find somebody at the Alberta dept. of transport to contact.

ugly_90

Wouldn't it be fair to say that the market for good used series trucks isn't what it used to be decades ago? Wouldn't the cost of import now exceed the cost of local replacement for a series SWB?

For a fifteen year old Defender, Land Cruiser, G Wagon, Unimog, the foreign low used value plus import costs would return value in North America. I suppose import duties would reflect that as well.

You can register and insure a RHD landy in Alberta, but no new registrations are permitted in Ontario, last I checked.

Rocketscientist

Yup, I know it doesn't make financial sense. But it has a lot of sentimental value being my first car. I also spent a lot time and effort restoring it after getting the TD5.

I'm hoping that if I bring it over with the rest of our stuff the cost won't be too crazy  :-\ ...

Trevor

Quote from: Rocketscientist on March 22, 2016, 08:27 AM
Hi.

Thanks for the replies.
We're hoping to come to Alberta, but it depends on where I can find employment.

We're still very early in the process, but I'll cry my eyes out if I have to leave Mr. Chuffy in S.A.

I'll try to find somebody at the Alberta dept. of transport to contact.

You're in luck then as Alberta is very easy to register in and we know of a very good shop that will assist with your provincial inspection on your Series (in Edmonton at least).

As an aside, I hope you're not planning on finding a job in the oil or construction industry here. Things are a tad, hmm, stressed, within those segments of our local economy.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Rocketscientist

Quote from: Trevor on March 22, 2016, 08:52 AM
You're in luck then as Alberta is very easy to register in and we know of a very good shop that will assist with your provincial inspection on your Series (in Edmonton at least).

Great!

Quote from: Trevor on March 22, 2016, 08:52 AM
As an aside, I hope you're not planning on finding a job in the oil or construction industry here. Things are a tad, hmm, stressed, within those segments of our local economy.

Nope, I'm an electronic engineer working as an embedded software developer.