ordering: thread chasers

Started by ugly_90, March 09, 2016, 07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I've been in a bit of bind with some damaged threads lately.

I think I've sorted myself out. I have two tap and die sets, but what I really need is a thread chasing set, which is not the same thing, and
is made to work with existing damaged threads, rather than from fresh steel.

I think i've found a bargain here on this one. The set i'm after seems to be made by Lang Tools, who produces for several shop brands.

The part I'm after matches a 48-piece set made for Snap-On at $148 US:

https://store.snapon.com/U-S-Metric-Combination-Tap-and-Die-Sets-48pc-Master-Rethreading-Tap-and-Die-Set-P641094.aspx

This set also exactly matches ones made for Mac Tools at $155.49 US, and made for Sears Craftsman at $79.99 US.

The Sears Craftsman set is available at only $38 USD from searsoutlet.com, and appears to be returned merchandise from Sears US. The downside is they don't seem to ship direct to Canada, as the item must be picked up at an American Sears store.

I do have a contact who can ship this to me, and several quantity would be just as easy.

How many others in the club would be interested in a set to be brought in on the same order? Shipping would be US Mail from Florida, and would be shared.

camo388

Rambler

Quote from: Red90 on March 10, 2016, 01:16 PM
$70USD + $20 for import and shipping to Canada.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Craftsman-40pc-Tap-Die-File-Rethreading-Set-Metric-NF-SAE-NC-USS-Thread-Restore-/131489956451?hash=item1e9d698263:g:6ZMAAOSwcwhVMU7y

The 40 piece is missing some of the better components (so a review on you tube said)

In visiting the snap on link, it suggests the contents only contains a single UNF rethread tool (¼-28), however, it looks like it contains a range of size, coarse, fine and metric.  I am keen to participate in the bulk order please and thanks for looking into this.  Do you have a list of thread sizes the 48 craftsman kit cover please?

Thanks,
Ian

Edit.  Ah ok.  Red90's ebay link to the smaller set gives a full listing of contents.  The 48 set looks good for me.  Cheers.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

The list of the parts for the Snap-on / Lang kit is in the original link.

The main difference is the 48 piece set has fine metric (4 taps and 4 dies).  The 40 piece is coarse metric plus fine and coarse imperial.  No fine metric on a Rover that I know of.

If you look at both sets...  Gold colour = metric, Black = NF, Silver = NC.

Rambler

Ok, thanks red90.  I was looking at the link on a mobile device and hadn't realised the full list of contents was there but not all on the screen until I scrolled through it.    :-X
Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

ugly_90

Ok, we've gone a bit sideways on this post. I did first look at ebay and Amazon, but it appears asking prices are higher than Sears, which is higher still than Searsoutlet.com

I wouldn't consider getting the 40-pc set, as there isn't much discount, and the shipping is relatively the same. I would only consider the 48-pc set. I don't know why we'd pay $70USD for the smaller set via ebay either.

The Mac Tools Set:

http://www.mactools.ca/en-ca/NoValue/NoValue/TRCOMBO-48/48-PC-Rethreading-Set-

The Identical Craftsman Set for less money:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P

Bruce has sent me a PM, others can send me a PM if they'd like to split shipping on the $38USD "refurbished" sears set, and agree in principle. Probably only worth the effort if I get about 4-6 sets in.

A beer-money budget decision.

It seems there is no warranty on this set, as it's a "consumable". The order I plan to have in is also not returnable.

Red90

Sorry, I missed the Sears Outlet and thought you were buying at $80 each and was providing an option.  I did not think you could order to any store through Sears Outlet.