12-14 Aug Brule Lake camping trip

Started by 5spd, February 28, 2016, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

5spd

Like the title says, oriented to family camping, hopefully at Peter's Pond.  Kerwin and I are heading this one up, and hope to include a Navigation Challenge on the Saturday, which should challenge your ability to understand ground, plan routes, move mounted to the vicinity, and on foot for the last short portions.  There are numerous GEOCACHES in the vicinity we will try to work in.

As in days past, we'll try to secure a good camp by sending an advance party early.  There have been some restrictions to OHV usage in the area, but we are confident we'll have enough mobility to amuse ourselves.

Chris

B-Red

Peter pond should be a great spot to secure. Have to head there Thursday to get it.
There is a horse ranch up there. They were very vocal in getting these restrictions in place due to the roudinace and garbage being left on the trails. Ironically, quads have more to do with it than ohv.
The PLUZ map on the net clarifies boundaries well.
I am interested.

B-Red

Is date correct? Tuesday is July 12!?

binch

That would be the overlander lodge probably ahahhahha    I'm in if I'm here  ;D
Cheers, Bill

5spd

Whoops.12-14 August, not 12 - 14 July.  My bad.

5spd

Last night Kerwin and I finished our recce of our navigation course, and of a half dozen campsites.  We had a great day out refreshing our own navigation skills.  The technical crux was trying to ascend out of a steep gully.  Despite fantastic climbing ability between his Rangie and his driving, after attempt two we abandoned the muddy slope rather than make a mess of the slope, the Rangie, or my shorts.

I will shortly write up a detailed 'order' for the trip, and for the Nav Challenge, but in the meantime I want to see who is coming?

The intent remains the same: Advance party secures Peter's Pond on Thurs night (probably me), Main Body rolls in Friday night, Nav Challenge goes off SAturday mid-day, and Sunday is free.  The location of the camp will ideally be Peter's Pond, but we won't know for sure till the Advance Party nabs something.

The points of the Nav Challenge are spread from the top of a 4000 metre feature above the airstrip, down the lake's edge.  We found signed restrictions to OHV only at the Brule LAke  Dunes area.  There were no restrictions to OHV signed elsewhere, however the level of the lake water may have bearing on the routes we are free to choose in August.

Hope to see lots of interest generated in this, so while I write up further instructions, please hit me up with comments and ideas.

Chris

binch

Looks like fun....I'm hoping to make it out for the weekend!
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

It's a good camping area. Always enjoyed it's views and close access. I am sure I will be coming to this one. Need as much fresh air as I can.

5spd

I am no longer able to make it out on Thursday night to seize Peter's Pond for us.  Anyone else available?  Did i hear Bill and Emad suggest they might be game?

Chris

binch

possibly....... ;)

Who all is coming out to play???? ;D
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

It's tight for me. I am in Airdrie on Thursday. Won't get out of Edmonton before Friday afternoon.

5spd

Okay, I just emailed out a map, and the instructions for establishing base camp, to the folks who have told me they were interested.  anyone else out there that wants to go, let me know and i'll email the instructions.

Chris

binch

A little bird tells me you had a good time!   I'm sorry I missed it...... ???
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

This turned out to be a wonderful relaxing trip. Chris did an excellent job in teaching us navigation using maps - no GPS allowed !! I managed to finish my trail no problem.
Weather was great on Friday night. Got to see some shooting stars.
Thunderstorm rolled in Saturday afternoon and turned the trail in a swamp at some points. Recovery got underway when Kerwin got stuck. Our camp site however, was not spared.
Peter's Pond get rain runoff with vengeance. Our tents got soaked with slit and water. The camp fire did keep all warm.
Great job Chris and Kerwin organizing this event. Look forward to new ones next year.
Cheers.