Icarus - Defender Camper conversion

Started by Red90, February 18, 2016, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

So, the presenters main gripes about this particular Defender was the engine was underpowered and it's a very old design. Ok, both fair points and well made. They have significantly over done it in the 'bolt-on' department and the design is pretty much prehistoric in vehicle terms.

But he go's on to say he preferred the 70 Series Toyota "Troopie" ?

Not exactly what I would describe as powerful or modern by any standard. I can walk faster than those things and the ride over rough ground is brutal.

I thought the awning on the 110 was neat though.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

The Toyotas have a 4.5 litre diesel. Lots of power and have been modernized. They are both new models. 76 series are still built and sold and are not the same as the ones you remember from decades past.

Red90

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/specifications/wagon-gxl

They are a nicer base for an overland vehicle. Not as good a base for an off road vehicle.

Matt H

Huh. Didn't realize they STILL make 70 series new! With coil springs up front now too I see!!! I thought all the units you see on the news with AA guns bolted to the bed and milita hanging off the sides were old units that had been refitted.

This is my brief experience with the original model.
My mate in the UK had one for a short time and it had the inline six petrol. Initially we thought it should be able move mountains being a very large displacement engine for England at the time but all it could manage was to turn vast amounts of petrol into almost no power. Bits literally rusted off as it drove down the road, it leaked water into the cab almost as fast as oil onto the street and anything more serious than wet grass was a real challenge. Prices for parts were also really expensive. It wasn't even that old at the time.

Back then we were still in the Army and for a laugh we drag raced the Toyota against a military Series 3 Land Rover, FFR with two clansman radios inside + batteries (that are massive) and the 2.25 diesel.

The Land Rover won. That's how slow it was. He sold it after a couple of months and got a first gen Isuzu Trooper.

To this day I really fail to understand reputation for toughness and reliability Toyota was able to ingrane in the public psyche? They have one hell of a PR division.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on February 18, 2016, 11:41 PM
To this day I really fail to understand reputation for toughness and reliability Toyota was able to ingrane in the public psyche? They have one hell of a PR division.

The owner's somehow keep up the rumours of better reliability.  When I lived in Australia, I was in a non-brand specific club.  About half the trucks were Toys.  At least 90% of the trail repairs were on the Toys.  This was not because they were less reliable, but because the owner's were very lax on maintenance. They had been convinced their vehicles were infallible.  One day I had a long chat with the owner of the local 4WD mechanic's shop on the subject.  His belief is all brands were as bad as the next.  They all had stupid designs that never got fixed in the design.

Yes, 70 series are still in production.  4.5 liter, DOHC, 4 valve, V8 with one or two VNT turbos.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VD_Engine  It would be hard to buy a new Defender with a little 2.2 liter engine if you were planning to build a 3 tonne overland truck with this being the other option.  Not that you can buy a Defender any more....

Trevor

I tend to agree that for Toyota and Land Rover, a good maintenance plan is the key. Reliability depends first and foremost on that. Brand design/quality is often a secondary matter with these two.

For overlanding I think the most important factor is what is common in the area. These vehicles are close enough in overall design and performance that those will wash out. What you can find for spare parts/service shops in the area you are traveling is the big consideration if choosing between these two imo.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Reliability concerns aside, the whole "little engine issue" in the Defender is what killed its popularity in Australia and South Africa.  In both places, people load the trucks up with everything including the kitchen sink and the 2.5 liter (and smaller) engines really turned people off.  Land Rover really had no clue how to appeal to the "real" overlanding market.

SpeedyJ

Wow theat Icarus is really understated. It should help the end user fly under the radar when traveling internationally. ;)

When I was in Australia in 2009 I had the opportunity to drive a Land Cruiser 105 mine truck (5spd), it was lightly built - ARB bumper, swing out spare tire holder, but not much else. It was a bit of a dog, it was better then  my petrol 1991 80 series, but only because of the transmission - the automatics really suck the life out of these trucks. Since the 105 had a 5spd I was able to make the most of the power at hand, but the best I can say about it is that it was adequate, if it was actually loaded down it would have struggled a bit. Driving in the sand took a bit of finesse since I was unable to power out of any mistakes.

I drive a fair number of NA diesels (Dodge 3500, F-350, etc) and as I'm sure you all know, these 4.5L Toyotas are just not comparable in terms of power and driveablity. The real shame is that they actually burn more fuel with higher emissions then the NA 1-tons that put out 4x the power. Of course that's not taking reliability or the complexity of the engines into account.

I also had the chance to drive a 2009 Troopie bush camper while I was there, that truck was equipped with a raised roof, fridge, kitchen sink AND the new twin turbo V-8 diesel, it was a bit better on fuel and in a different class in terms of power. It's still not a North American 1-ton, but it could hang with the Holden Utes off the line. With the 5spd manual I really liked driving that thing. I'd spring for a double cab 70 series with that motor in a second (only another 10 years until they're importable). After driving so many of the older Land Cruisers I get why they didn't sell them in NA, or sold very few - they are built tough, but the driving experience on the highway sucks. My 80 was so gutless and thirsty that my Subaru got the invite to Moab every spring instead of the LC.

We've currently got a 100 series with the V8 petrol and dreaded 4spd automatic, it's not over powered to begin with (loaded for a trip I'm at 6800lbs), but the transmission saps the life out of what it does have. It's not unusual to downshift into second to maintain highway speeds heading out to K-Country on the weekends. But then I take it out to the field (I do seismic) and drive it down cut-lines, ice roads and rough accesses and I wouldn't have anything else. It starts every morning and I can do laps around the American pick-up on ice. I is entirely possible that the fact that I'm not paying for my own gas improves my mood as well.