Klondyke Ferry and Timeu Camping and Trailing

Started by B-Red, February 15, 2016, 12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

B-Red

Good day,

I am organizing this camping trip for weekend of May 6, 7 and 8th.

The camp site is on private land in Timeu, Alberta. This is off grid camping so you have to be self sufficient with food and water. An outhouse will be setup when we arrive at the farm.

The area is famous for its Sand Hills and thick brush. Few lakes are hidden on the trails.  Crown land and logging trails span from Swan Hills on the west, Slave lake in the North and Athabasca River on the East and Fort Assiniboine in the south.  We will be travelling from Edmonton through Westlock and then towards VEGA. The secondary highway will end up with the Klondike Ferry over the Athabasca River crossing and then another half hour to our camping site. 

Friday will be the drive day, 3 hours roughly. Departing by 2 pm to allow sufficient time for travel and setup of camp.  Trails and fishing will be explored on Saturday and Sunday if the group is up to it. Return is on Sunday evening through Fort Assiniboine and Barrhead on paved highways. Travel will be around 1-1/2 hours.

A convenience store, motel and gas station are located towards Fort Assiniboine, within 1/2 hour from the farm

The trip is family rated and there will be plenty to see and do for the members of the family. trails will be mild to moderate.

Please let me know if you are interested in participating in this trip.  I will be posting details as we get closer to date.

cheers,

Emad

Trevor

Sounds like a fun trip Emad. I'll be in Moab, so not able to attend.

I'm curious though. When does the ferry officially open? Is it decided based on river ice, or do they just have it set late enough in the spring that they know the ice will be off for sure?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

The web site showed that historically it's open in late April. Once snow melts I guess. With current warm weather trend I think it will be melted by May.

B-Red

Good day

I am posting this as a reminder.

So far I have

Matt
Brendan
Norman
Kerwin
Bill
Jeffery

Let me know if you wish to be on this trip.
I will be turning to private email to those planning to come after this announcement for future details.

Cheers

--
Emad

B-Red

I checked the site this weekend. The Ferry will be open this week.
The grounds are dry. The fire alert is high. So we may get restricted on our camp fire.

The trails should also be dry as snow is gone and the temperature has been high too.

Cheers

B-Red

I sent out an email this morning with the trips details. If you wanted to come and did not receive this email, then please let me know via email. It means I do not have you on the attendees email list.

If anybody in the club wants to join in, there is room available. Send me a PM or email.

I did identify the Old Klondike Historical Trail in that area. Its running along lake Foley. Check it out online at
http://www.albertatrailnet.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Grande-Alberta-North-East-with-links.pdf

Thank you
Emad

Trevor

Just an fyi, our vehicles are not classified as OHV under the law. Had some friends challenge that recently (after getting tickets for using a trail that was supposedly OHV restricted, they were arguing their 4x4's are in fact OHV, and they lost).

Legally you can run afaik. Our rigs are much less risky relative to quads/motorbikes, etc if you insure your exhaust system is free of mud/grass. Obviously a great deal of care and consideration should be taken if one does go out in these dry conditions.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

However.  The intent of the ban is for all vehicles being used off road.  In locations that they have enforcement, they are closing the trails completely and putting up gates.

B-Red

We had a good weekend with good weather. Rain came down during the night. Camping was on private land. No camp fires or open flames. Our Saturday drive was on gravel roadways. The Historical Klondike trail is a logging trail that is cleared two car width. Nontheless, did find Marty's expreso cafe in Fort Assinibone. Great food and ice cream. The ferry ride was refreshing too.

In another summer or even fall, this area has lots of trails to discover.
The lake is also great for fishing and canoeing.
Good start for camping season

binch

Yup, that was a great weekend, with a very well sheltered meadow to camp in.  Secluded and quiet!     This spot offers some great potential as a family camp location with free ferry ride across the river, good access, 3 streams/rivers for fishing and a lake near by to put in a canoe and/or fishing.    I can see a 'movies in the meadows' family event or even some orienteering practice in the area.    And I heard it's a good spot for a bit of skeet shooting (specific event for safety reasons).   Lots of nice gentle green laning so little chance of pine striping, Lots of beautiful scenary, and if you want to play pinball with quads the Vega dune trails are in the area too.    And it was only an hour and a half away from town.

Doesn't get too much better for a club family outing ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

I didn't take my camera....not sure if emad or Brendon did..... ???
Cheers, Bill