How to fob off the public.

Started by Matt H, December 01, 2015, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

It seems Jeep have taken a leaf out of the Land Rover book of fobbing off the interested public.

In a recent interview with jP magazine the Jeep top brass ran out the now classic LR lines such as "icon", "iconic", "most capable ever", "our engineers are enthusiasts" and the much loved " stand a orginal jeep next to the latest model and the linage is clear".

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1511-the-future-of-wrangler-jeeps-jim-morrison/
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

I chuckled when I read this bit...

Jp: “It’s nice to know that the guys with the ‘steering wheel in their hands’ when it comes to the design of the Wrangler are enthusiasts.”
JM: “The new Red Rock version of the Wrangler is the perfect example. It’s a fully customized Wrangler set up for a specific purpose with special off-road hardware added to a factory Jeep. Through reading publications such as Jp and the connections we have with groups like the Red Rock Four Wheelers we learn what the enthusiast really wants.”

...and from Land Rover

Interviewer: "Who was a primary influence on the Evoque design?"
LR: "Posh Spice. She was integral to the design. She represents all that LR stands for, er, now"

....:)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Interestingly I have noticed that the once lauded Land Rover "Design Guru" Gerry McGorven has begun to be seen as a negative influence on LR rather than a positive one by many enthusiasts and LR media.

Having been previously credited with almost single handedly reinvigorating the LR brand he now stands to be judged on his achievements beyond the sales books. Basically every road biased model from the Freelander to the current Discovery Sport.

His role in the new Defender project seems to be downplayed somewhat. Maybe an attempt by LR to distance the new utility line from a guy that asks Mrs Beckham for design advise?

Either way it was the language the Jeep guy used in the interview that made me smile. Now where have I heard that before?

ugly_90

So very weak. What gets me, is that any original Willys or LR patents are so outdated, there isn't much stopping any manufacturer anywhere in the world from producing a bolt together aluminum bodied 4x4 on a chassis. Instead, the bells and whistles sell vehicles nowdays. Handsfree calling and lcd screens, thats what the public seem to want. I'd be surprised if the new defender, if it comes, is any different than the Wrangler, or FJ Cruiser. I won't be waiting in line for it anyhow.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on December 01, 2015, 05:11 PM

Either way it was the language the Jeep guy used in the interview that made me smile. Now where have I heard that before?

I think they all must share the same marketing manuals...kinda like realtors do with their listing guides :).
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

At least Land Rover Canada appears to be wanting to bring in the new Defender, if they ever build the thing...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/sorry-canada-only-bond-baddies-get-to-drive-the-new-land-rover-defender/article27028870/

QuoteJaguar Land Rover Canada national sales manager Sam Pirillo, who saw the new Defender under development during a recent visit to Britain, says he could certainly sell some.

Pirillo, who says Canadian Land Rover sales have doubled to more than 7,000 in three years, said he made sure the brass at Coventry knew he’d welcome a new Defender, but has no timeline for when it might arrive.

Matt H

Quote from: ugly_90 on December 01, 2015, 06:00 PM
So very weak. What gets me, is that any original Willys or LR patents are so outdated, there isn't much stopping any manufacturer anywhere in the world from producing a bolt together aluminum bodied 4x4 on a chassis. Instead, the bells and whistles sell vehicles nowdays. Handsfree calling and lcd screens, thats what the public seem to want. I'd be surprised if the new defender, if it comes, is any different than the Wrangler, or FJ Cruiser. I won't be waiting in line for it anyhow.

I think it depends on the market they will be chasing with the new utility line. They already have the luxury, high tech, fashion, performance, towing, crossover, family and lifestyle markets covered, and then some.

However As basic 4x4's have slowly been phased out by all major manufacturers there now exists a gap in the market. Quads and especially side by sides have been selling like crazy. And they are not exactly cheap either.

If they build a small basic 4x4 with the attributes of a SbS or large road legal going side by side with a decent cab they could literally own that market.
A bit like the first LR, designed to be a road going tractor/truck. Not a lifestyle statement.

My 2c.

Matt H

Quote from: Red90 on December 02, 2015, 10:37 AM
At least Land Rover Canada appears to be wanting to bring in the new Defender, if they ever build the thing...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/sorry-canada-only-bond-baddies-get-to-drive-the-new-land-rover-defender/article27028870/

QuoteJaguar Land Rover Canada national sales manager Sam Pirillo, who saw the new Defender under development during a recent visit to Britain, says he could certainly sell some.

Pirillo, who says Canadian Land Rover sales have doubled to more than 7,000 in three years, said he made sure the brass at Coventry knew he’d welcome a new Defender, but has no timeline for when it might arrive.

Good news! I'd be interested. Even by the most pessimistic of opinions on how the new unit will turn out it can't be any worse than the recent offerings from LR like the Evoke, RRSport and Discovery 5 off road.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on December 02, 2015, 12:34 PMI'd be interested.

Sure Matt.  There is no new car that would ever be good enough for you!  ;)

Matt H

Of course I like new cars, as long as it doesn't say Jeep on the grill. Lol.

Obviously old, rusty poorly built and barely running is preferred. But can't please everyone.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on December 02, 2015, 01:04 PM

Obviously old, rusty poorly built and barely running is preferred. But can't please everyone.

Well, that's kinda "new"....new to you at least when you first get them. So that's worth something!
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

I've never met a mechanic with a nice car.  They always drive rusty old pieces of crap.  It is some sort of mechanic's code.