blasting /powdercoat

Started by ugly_90, November 19, 2015, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I left five steel wheels for blasting and powdercoat with a shop here in GP. The quoted rate was $75/wheel, which is what I was expecting.  He had some finished coated oil pans there as well,  and he expected a truck oil pan would be in the $60-75 range.

Asking more, I was surprised that the blasting was a large part of the cost. It seems that if I blast them myself, pricing should be about half.

We have a large cabinet blaster at work, and I expect to use this again. POR15 and galvanizing have their place as well, but it could be handy to some powdercoating too.

If others are interested, able to pack a box, and leave me a month turnaround time, I may be able to blast for them in trade for parts. I take beer as well :). I can do parts about the size of an oilpan and smaller. Wheels are too large to be worthwhile in my cabinet blasting.

binch

In order of effectiveness    Galvanizing is tops, POR15 is second and prettier and then there is powder coating, and then hand painting ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on November 20, 2015, 12:41 AM
In order of effectiveness    Galvanizing is tops, POR15 is second and prettier and then there is powder coating, and then hand painting ;)

I think it depends a lot upon what you are trying to accomplish.

Powder coating is a great option if you need some protection and are concerned about ascetics. It just looks much better as a finished product than the other options, and still offers good protection. It just doesn't hold up to direct wear.

POR15 is good for rust prevention, but it's a lot about the prep to insure it sticks (much like powder coating for that matter). It suffers in a similar way to powder coating re wear if you start dragging the area across rocks, etc.

Galvanized certainly works the best for rust protection and is the most durable. However at the same time it looks really bad.

All depends on what you are shooting for.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!