Remembrance Day

Started by B-Red, November 11, 2015, 07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

It is the day today. I learned couple of days ago why we wear the Poppy flower. Listening to the story as told by our friend Bill as he was telling it to our world travellers.

Never really knew why before. So, today, I lay it down knowing why.

For our service men and women in uniform, Thank You

http://www.bbc.co.uk/remembrance/how/poppy.shtml

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on November 11, 2015, 07:34 AM

For our service men and women in uniform, Thank You

Seconded.

Hands down, without question, the most important day of the year imo.

The only one that really matters.

Lest we forget.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

30,000th daily last post ceremony was held at the Menin Gate this July......Daily remembrance at 8pm since July 1, 1928.

The Menin gate has the names of more the 54,000 soldiers of the commonwealth whose remains were never found after the fighting had stopped around Ypres Salient, in Begium.    The locals will open their doors each day, to hear the last post played....      Remembrance each and every day......   I invite you to attend one day.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

54,000 missing. Honestly it's hard to fathom this number in real terms. Not just dead, or wounded but totally MIA! A number similar to the entire population of Medicine Hat, lost in the mud on a foreign battlefeild. It beggars belief.

Can you imagine if that many soldiers had gone missing in a modern day conflict? Not to mention the civilians that died.

Lest we forget indeed.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Yes, that really is a staggering number. When one looks at the total casualties of the Vietnam War for the US you are just over 50,000!

The scale of death in WWI simply belies belief. And then a new group of madmen arose and they tried again in WWII....

We remember, in part, with the hope we can prevent the next one. Alas, its usually not to be.

I've got a short bucket list, but one of the must-do's is visit the memorials in France, Belgium, etc.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Trevor on November 13, 2015, 08:09 AM
I've got a short bucket list, but one of the must-do's is visit the memorials in France, Belgium, etc.

Ditto!   So far I've only made it to Vimy Ridge, Saint Juliien, Menin Gate, Arnhem, and a few common wealth cemeteries in the UK....But the more I see the more if feels like a drop in the bucket. 
Cheers, Bill

Pioneer

when I was posted to Germany I was on parade at Menin Gate.  When they stop traffic and the Bugler played Last Post the hair on the back of my neck stood up.  We also did a parade at the Vimy Ridge memorial.  You get a better understanding of what hell the soldiers endured in the heat and cold in those living conditions.