Kakwa Falls - Summer 2024

Started by Damian, January 21, 2024, 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian

Hey All,

For a couple of years now I've been meaning to head out to Kakwa falls in the summer/fall.  Just wondering if anyone is interested in scheduling this for 2024.

For those not familiar Kakwa is Alberta's largest waterfall, and is only accessible via 4x4.  From what I've read it's best accessed in late summer due to water levels.  Only catch is the trailhead to the 20km trail is about 9 hours away from Calgary, 7 from Edmonton.  So this would be a multi-day trip likely for most.  Thinking of bush camping near the trailhead and then 4x4ing in.  Maybe camping somewhere else offroady on the way back.  But at this point totally open for suggestion.

If interested let us know and we can float some dates and potential route options.

Some Links:
Alberta's Tallest Waterfall Is Hidden In The North & It's 10 Storeys High
Explore Kakwa Wildland

Damian

Chris

binch

I think I was into Kakwa falls back in the early 80's.....in a two wheel drive pick me up.  The viewing point had a small rail barrier that people just couldn't stay behind.  Amazing how many people fell off.

Sounds like a good trip!

FYI....Torrens Lookout (fire lookout) is located to the west of Kakwa Falls and it's situated on mountain ridge.   There's a scree slope just past the cupola that is made of thousand of petrified clam shells....at 6500' +/-.    When I was up there last (80's) we had just finished having a look around and were back in the vehicle to head back down the mountain (300' from the lookout) when we had 3 grizzly cubs run across the track in front of us.  Hot on their tail was 'mom'....a big beautiful silver tip griz!!!    I was so impressed by what I saw I didn't even think to lift the camera (sitting between my feet) to snap a pick.   But the image is impressed in my brain forever ;-)

Two Lakes has a popular camping area for the folks around Grande Prairie too ;-)

cheers, Bill
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

I'd be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

Depending on dates and if I have at least 50% of a functioning Land Rover I'd be in!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Chris

Any dates for this trip? Gotta book time off soon so I can  go!