Instrument panel assistance

Started by Green Hornet 88, January 15, 2024, 02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Hornet 88

Happy new year all! I'm tackling the install of my Autosparks loom wiring for my 88 series 2, with a 90, 2.5 na engine conversion. I'm wiring up the instrument panel following utube videos and wiring diagrams and have a few observations that I could use some help!
For further information I have a defender starting key ( part# RC2734) and the 2.5na alternator.
1st question do I need a voltage regulator? And if so which one?
2nd question do I need a glow plug 'regulator/relay'? And if so which one? I assume the 'glow plug' switch is in the key?
3rd 'issue ' there is no bulbs or holders for the instrument panel lighting. I was thinking of upgrading (Jerry rig?) to LED lights and was wondering if anyone has done this without having the original wiring?
4th question on the back of the speedometer are 2 holes (photos attached, later!),1 for the  end of the speedo cable, but what is the 2nd hole to left for? Odometer? If so how does it attach?
I know there are a lot of 'dumb' questions here for you wiring gurus, however, I find I've been spending more time researching stuff rather than moving ahead with my project!
All thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers Craig

Sorry folks, I can't figure out how to add a photo at this time? I'll add the photos later! Aaaarrrggg!

Red90

No voltage regulator needed.

Glow plugs are wired straight from the ignition switch.  Probably 8 gauge wire.

Not sure on the rest without looking.

Red90

This should be the ignition switch.
1 - to battery
2 - injection pump
3 - starter
4 - normal switched power.
5 - glow plugs.

Red90

To post photos, either drag the photos down below or click.

You cannot view this attachment.

Green Hornet 88

Hey John Thanks for info for the switch, voltage regulator and glow plugs! Looks like I can't load pictures with my tablet! With regards to the lighting, if you look at the picture of the amp/fuel gauge I have one light socket in the middle and one just below which has a light base with bulb that seems to fit? Not sure if this the base/socket/bulb that goes in this location? The light was a random base/bulb that I had in a parts box and its the only one I have.  I have nothing for the center light socket or for the speedo lighting. On the speedo picture there are 4 light sockets, but I don't have any light bases/bulbs to go in them or any other light/bases of any kind for that matter.  I was looking for way to get light into the remaining sockets. looking at the speedo picture the 2 socket at the bottom look like they would have the same base/socket bulb like the one I have  in the amp fuel gauge picture, but it doesn't fit. The others 2 sockets look like a snap in type base? Also looking at the speedo picture there is a hole in the middle that 'I believe' the end of the cable goes into.  I just don't know what the other threaded hole is for? to the left of the center hole. Looked at a number of Utube videos, haven't seen the back of a speedo like mine, yet.  Your thought are appreciated.Cheers CRaig

Apu

I ran up to my shed and fought off the hibernating squirrels to dig out an old instrument panel i had. It has sockets but they sure are in rough shape. As a last resort I could soak these in evaporust for a day or 2 and see if we can get something usable for you.

Red90

I believe the mystery brass thing on the speedo is for the trip reset. There should be a cable with twist knob that  connects. The knob mounts on the panel next to the speedo.

Someone might have some gauges with the light holders.

Red90

The lower speedo sockets are for the indicator lights on the bottom of the gauge. The holes are for lighting the speedo.

Green Hornet 88

Hey guys thanks for the photos and thoughts. Even looking at the picture back of a panel is helpful! The twisty knob thingy for a trip setter is great help I can at lease look in my boxes for something that looks like that! I thought it may have been electrical? Any spare instrument panel parts/guages offered would be greatly appreciated! I've come up with an idea for the lights using wired LED lights, Styrofoam sockets and hot glued in place? I know... wacky! making a prototype out of a broken 12v LED Light I found in my Xmas stuff! I'll let you know if works and not or burn up on reentry! Haha cheers!

Apu

Sounds good. If you ar adapting LEDs and need the plastic little light directors for inside the gauges, I have a few. Cheers

Red90

The reset cable looks like this.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Green Hornet 88

Hey Bill, the speedo is made by smith motors so the smith bulb (#1) might fit in the speedo hard to tell until I try to fit in the sockets. I don't have any sockets or lights like these bulbs/sockets in my parts boxes. cheers 

Green Hornet 88

I did manage to find a cable that looks like the reset cable that John posted. At first blush it doesn't seem to be the same connection? I'll have to clean it up and see if I can get it to fit/work? 
 Hey Apu, I'm not sure what 'the plastic little light directors for inside the gauge' used for adapting LEDs are? Could you send a picture?
Cheers Craig

Apu

Hi Craig,

The little plastic light pieces i was refering to, direct the light to the back of the lens. I see they are not in your gauge. My thought was these could give you something to modify to LED. Maybe epoxy a small LED in there or something similar.

Im trying to figure out how to attach a photo off my phone. If not i'll do it off my desk top tomorrow