EZ Power Steering system... Anyone ever install one?

Started by dijansmith, December 13, 2023, 09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dijansmith

Hello, Has anyone in the ALRE multi verse ever installed a power steering system in their Series LR?
No?
Here goes nothing....
Well, the mechanical side of the install of the EZ Power Steering kit was somewhat easy.
First, I disabled the old steering tube, housing and cleaned up so I can use with the new supplied bearings, seals and worm gear and shaft. Next, I measured the steering tube and marked it around 9-10 inches or 23-25cms (several times FLANGE WITH FOUR BOLT PATTERN INSTALLED IS AS MUST!). I refitted the now cut steering tube and worm gear assy. to see where the worm gear extends outside the flange of the steering tube. Then, I re-built the steering box, worm gear, bearings, seals etc.
I installed the motor/ steering wheel end assembly with all the bolts loosened to help with alignment and installation of the rebuilt steering box assy. by pushing on and rotating and the same time the male female shaft ends together to align. Note: I did have my support bracket already attached to the steering box as well to make it easy as well (Screws loose again for install) to attach to the frame.
I then tightened up the main screws and did see that shims are need to attach the main support to the bulkhead in two places.
You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.

Apu

Looks great. Excited to hear how it drives. Well done.

dijansmith

Thanks Kev...

not sure if you looked at the attached video but the important thing is the it turns the wheels without electrical assistance...

binch

Nice Job.  I think this is the first electric pwr assist unit I've seen on a non-competitive land rover.   Nice job  ;-)
Cheers, Bill

dijansmith

Thanks Bill, I cannot wait to put the electrical in to see if this works...