Back again, my 97 Disco in Yellowknife

Started by Ron T, October 22, 2023, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron T

Its been parked since March 2022.  I drove it to work and something was off, lifting the hood I noticed bubbling antifreeze leaking from the cylinder head above the water pump.  In the meantime I filled the gap with an older Ford Focus. 
As we very much like our 97 Disco, which needs a lot of work, repair, replace, make one out of parts vehicles, are all options, but I should make a decision.
What is out there now, what advice from the experience pool here on the forum.
Ron T  Yellowknife, NT

binch

Simple solution Ron......Like we've said before.....get it fixed or part company with it.   Time to make a decision  ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Ron T

I'd been holding out for an inheritance, two family members passed away in the last three years but neither estate has been sorted out.

I'll park it for another winter while I wait for the money to do anything major.  Ideally I'll find someone who would take on a major project such as making one (quite a few newer parts on mine) out of two.  It is very doubtful I'll find anyone up here to do that work.  New vehicles have progressed to the place that they're engineering nightmares.  One online account of evacuating out of Hay River this summer was from a driver who drove into the smoke and fire at night who said that at one point to make sure his vehicle was still on the road he drove with the driver's door open to verify he was on pavement - the visibility was so poor.  As I drive older vehicles it was a coworker that told me that his newer Jeep Patriot will lock the parking brake on (there is a work around apparently if you know it) when a door is opened.

Another interesting outcome of the Yellowknife evacuation, we know of people with full electric vehicles who had to find alternative transportation out of town as they didn't have the range to make it down the highway to a charging station.  My wife stayed behind with me, she took care of abandoned pets brought to us by the SPCA, while I stayed as an essential worker - avionics support for the firefighting aircraft and the company fleet.

Looking forward to having money to retire and do a little travelling.