LR3 roof glass

Started by Chris, June 04, 2023, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Has anyone had to replace the rear sunroof glass on the LR3, the large glass panel section, any recommendations on where to go if you have?

binch

It's a long shot but trying calling the dealership and asking them who they send their work to?    I doubt the do it in house..... ::)
Cheers, Bill

Chris

I gave them a call, it's enough to give a person Chest pain. $5000 for part plus install.  ???

binch

Cheers, Bill

Chris

Sorry thats including install.... still chest pain hahaha. I'm searching for a wreckers I can just pull the glass from.

binch

So what was the cost on the glass alone then...?
Cheers, Bill

mike.heathcote

I'd try Glassmasters. 

The back window of my Equinox shattered for some reason (apparently it's somewhat common), and they had a new one installed for $263 incl tax the next day. 
I went to the location on 111Ave and 174St, in Edmonton - near the LR dealer. 

They also did a new front windscreen on my Series 2 a couple years ago fairly cheap. 

JohnnyO

My first LR4 had a cracked glass roof panel. It made it hard to sell. Could have sold it twice - to guys in Fernie and Cranbrook - but it would fail any out of province inspections. I called around and no independent glass shops would touch it. The JLR dealer quoted me $3500. That was about a year ago. If it's not leaking I would leave it. Replacing it might cause it to start leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

@bunch, cost of just glass for JLR I was quoted $2300 with my discount.
@JonnyO, yea I'm 100% if it's leaking at the moment, I just did it, but I did a good job, so my guess is it'll leak or at least water will get in, freeze then really crack in the winter. I may try to Resin it myself and try to seal. I took it to glassmasters today, they said it's about 6-8hrs labour plus glass, so about 3500ish if I get the glass from JLR myself. But I'll try to resin and seal it myself first.
Another option is I have friends at a Fab shop, I may see if they can make me a tin roof panel and seal it up permanently

binch

If you can replace it with a good reinforced metal piece...go for it!!!!    That would solve most of the issues and you don't have to worry about dropping anything on it again    ;D
Cheers, Bill