BSF tap and die

Started by Gardenome, September 28, 2015, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

Would anyone have a set I could borrow just to clean up some nuts and bolts?

Thanks,

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex C

Canadian tire have them on special every 6 weeks or so great investment, usually about $40.00 for the set, a be careful on the series theirs whitworth threads on some of the parts, especially the gearbox.
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Red90

Canadian Tire have whitworth tap and die sets?

binch

Quote from: Gardenome on September 28, 2015, 06:17 PM
Would anyone have a set I could borrow just to clean up some nuts and bolts?

I have a tap and die set but not for the whitworth.    But you'll have to contact Dave L. to borrow them ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Just so all is clear.  BSF = British Standard Fine = Whitworth

Gardenome

I've contacted Malcolm and he has some I can borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Red

This is new for me. Does anybody have a link on the various types of die and tap sets? I have the Canadian Tire one but did not know about the British type.

Alex C

CT set is UNC and UNF this will work on most land-rover fasteners, newer models you will also need metric, series gearbox you will need BSF, and as a back up theirs the good old thread file.

ugly_90

I visit the UK on Monday. I do plan to stop at Machine Mart while there. I expect I could buy the "Gunson 77123" Whitworth tap and die set for £41.99.. ? Would a defender use only metric and SAE threads throughout?  Is Whitworth/British Thread prevailing for older series landrovers and vintage British motorcycles for example?

Red90

Defenders are all metric and UNF.

Series were all BS at some point. Not sure when the changes happened.

Alex C

Adam, you should buy a BSF tap set for sure, you wont need it on your Defender, but you can store the tools at my place  :D

If you find a good used fuel pump/governor, Bosch, from a low mileage Defender 200 Tdi, let me know,

Have fun in the UK and don't forget it does not matter were you go, if anyone asks you who the best football team is, its not the Eskimos, or the Packers, the correct answer is Newcastle United, you can follow that up the the war cry toon, toon, toon, you will be safe throughout England, Scotland and Wales on this sound advice.

binch

Unless you're in Leeds hahahhahahahhahaha
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

Being a good geordie lad I can happily vouch for the sound advice given above. Toon army all the way  8)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Rambler

Second thoughts.  You might want to be careful about shouting this anywhere near Sunderland   ::)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

Or anywhere that isn't Newcastle. Lol
No Road Except For Land-Rover.