Advice on mating engine to transmission in truck

Started by robindawilliams, January 15, 2023, 11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robindawilliams

I've got a series 2 that I've overhauled the engine on, but I've finally had some time to install it and I've been at it for 2 days trying to get it to connect. It gets right up to the bolts at the trans but will not go the last half inch. I've tried twisting the engine, pushing the trans higher, adjusting the clutch disc, I have no idea.

I assumed this was an issue of the clutch disc but I've tried adjusting it 3 times to center it and still no avail. I'm pulling out hair trying to get this thing to get in. I'm worried I'm going to smash this thing up before it ever runs.

Anyone have advice or a tool that might save me from this hell? Ive ordered a clutch disc guide but it'll be a week or two until it arrives. I'm down in Calgary.

Red90

If it is the last little bit then it is the pilot bushing. Make sure the input shaft is smaller than the bushing.

Obviously make sure the clutch is centered on the bushing.

robindawilliams

Quote from: Red90 on January 15, 2023, 12:13 PM
If it is the last little bit then it is the pilot bushing. Make sure the input shaft is smaller than the bushing.

Obviously make sure the clutch is centered on the bushing.

Is there a chance a bushing came that was too small for the input shaft? How would you even fix that.

Red90

Quote from: robindawilliams on January 15, 2023, 01:25 PM
Is there a chance a bushing came that was too small for the input shaft? How would you even fix that.

Measure both with calipers or take it out and see if it goes on the input shaft.

To fix, drill it out or get it machined.  It is just a little piece of bronze.  Maybe it has a burr on the end or something like that and a second with a file is all that is needed.

dijansmith

hello
is this a fairly easy job? I am considering replacing the clutch and plate in my series. I am down to the frame and it should be not too bad to do?

Red90

Quote from: dijansmith on February 21, 2023, 09:40 AM
hello
is this a fairly easy job? I am considering replacing the clutch and plate in my series. I am down to the frame and it should be not too bad to d0?

Quite straightforward.  Make sure you get the flywheel machined and change the rear main seal and any worn throwout parts while you are in there.