Museum of Making Tour

Started by JohnnyO, January 04, 2023, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

JohnnyO

There is a little-known private museum West of Cochrane, AB, that I've been wanting to see.  Apparently, the owner will arrange for group tours.  I'd like to get an idea of the interest level.  If there are enough of us that are keen to go have a look I'll make the arrangements.  I'm thinking of a Sunday early afternoon sometime in the next month or two.  We can meet in Cochrane and convoy out to the museum.  Let me know your thoughts and hopefully the plans will come together.

More info:  https://museumofmaking.org/

WELCOME TO THE CANADIAN MUSEUM OF MAKING
The Canadian Museum of Making began as a personal project to save intriguing machinery and tools from being discarded from local shops, and grew into a renowned, private museum which gathers items from all over the world that live in the intersection between engineering and art. The collections focus on the mechanical wonders, both famous and forgotten, of the Industrial Revolution in Canada, Great Britain and the United States, restoring pieces to working order and recording their stories for museum visitors and future generations.

The Museum is continually expanding, with new exhibits including African metalwork; a working Linotype machine (some say the most complicated machine ever built); one of the most comprehensive collections of steam indicators in the world; vehicular curiosities like one of the world's first electric cars; and a well-maintained library of relevant texts.

The Museum's newest project is acquiring and restoring machinery from the early history of oilfields in Alberta. The goal is to create a comprehensive, outdoor, walking exhibit featuring the most representative and iconic equipment that played a role in forming the oil industry we experience today.

Red90

I'm in.  Any Sunday is good.

binch

This looks very interesting.   Depending when it is I'll drive down for it.....Just leave enough time to get home at a reasonable hour hahahhahahahha ;D
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Looking forward to the drive

JohnnyO

Museum of Making 12:30pm Sunday, March 5th:
The plans are coming together for the Museum of Making tour.  We are booked for 1pm, Sunday, March 5th.  The tour typically takes 1.5 to 2 hours depending on how many questions there are.

Some Museum Information:
1. The museum is not mobility device accessible as there are several sets of stairs so guests
will unfortunately not be permitted in the upper museum due to safety concerns.
2. Photography is permitted.
3. These exhibits are not as appropriate for young children as there are quite a few sharp
edges. Please ensure you are supervising children at all times.
4. If you wish to donate to the Museum to help cover expenses, cheques can be made out to
'The Canadian Museum of Making' or donations can be made from our website
www.museumofmaking.org.

Please note that the museum has a camera surveillance system so by visiting, you are
consenting to be filmed while on premises.

We'll meet in Cochrane at the Petro Canada station on the West side of town on the 1A Highway.  There's a Tim Hortons and Mr Mozzarella Pizza there as well.  We'll depart for the museum en masse at 12:30pm.

So far around 20 people have shown interest.  Please reply to confirm your attendance so we have final numbers.

On another note, watch this space for an announcement for an upcoming trail run out to the Ghost area on Saturday of that same weekend.

Best regards,
John

binch

I'll be heading down for the museum for sure ;-)   

Just me so far...but we'll see if I get a passenger too.
Cheers, Bill

Maddy_110

Hey John! I would love to join you all for the Ghost River tour on Sat. March 4 and the Museum of Making tour on Sun. March 5. I have a good friend and fellow Defender owner flying in from Kelowna to join us as well.

I am hoping to have some work finished on our (your old) Defender 110 in time for this weekend, but if not we will bring our new-to-us '96 Discovery instead. If I can get the Defender running in time, we might bring BOTH!

Thanks for arranging this!

binch

I'm In!!!!! for both days..... ;D
Cheers, Bill

JohnnyO

This is a friendly reminder about the upcoming trip: Museum of Making 12:30pm Sunday, March 5th

Here's the link again: https://museumofmaking.org/

Leaving from the 1A Tim Hortons on the West side of Cochrane at 12:30pm sharp. 
https://www.google.com/maps/place/51%C2%B012'12.9%22N+114%C2%B030'17.3%22W/@51.2035819,-114.5069988,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d51.2035786!4d-114.5048101 (51.20357858578609, -114.5048101451837)

Future messages will be via the ALRE group email and limited to those signed up.  There will be no further updates on the Facebook nor ALRE forums.

Please email johno167-at-outlook.com by Friday, March 3rd if you are interested in being added to the email thread, as well as any omissions/corrections.  The museum tour is limited to 24 people.

(20 people signed up)
Alvin P.
Alvin's Friend
Bert V.
Bill I.
Curtis P. (?)
Dave M.
David B.
David's friend
Doug L.
Doug's friend
Emad E.
John B.
John O.
Teri O.
Ron M.
Sandy M.
Tom F.
Melissa F.
Stephen S.
Matthew S.

binch

This was an amazing place!   Tonka toy heaven and set up beautifully!    Going to have to go back again..... ;D
Cheers, Bill