replacement battery charger

Started by ugly_90, December 22, 2022, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I had a battery charger fail on me years after warranty, Clore Automotive PL2320. It showed overheat after a short 10A charge in the cold, apparently a fan failure, but I disassembled and the fan was fine. No repair manual is available, and everything is assembled into the compact plastic case, it's hard to troubleshoot that way. They make chargers for NAPA, Mac Tools, and Blue Point/Snap On. A wide range of prices, depending on what plastic colour you want and the name on the case.

There really isn't anything else on the market as portable, that will do Flooded, AGM, and GEL batteries at 2-20A. This charger has special automatic modes for deep discharged batteries as well, in a hope to resurrect them. I'll likely move to their 12/24V model for what i'm using it for, and i'll unfortunately be buying this one again.

Alex C

I have had good luck with Canadian Tire   Noco  Genius 10 for the shop and the 2D for direct mount on board, they are on sale at CT every couple of months

Noco have lots of accessories, i use the 2ft extensions to connect the battery on my boat and camper, makes for a simple hook up without accessing the battery, just plug the little jumper in and good to go, no crocodile clips

and if i replace or add a charger all the accessories still plug in
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

ugly_90

It didn't occur to me as solution at first, and took a few days to sink in. Although the fan doesn't appear to have failed in my case on the Clore charger, it's likely a failure in many units, as they do note this in the manual. On other power supply equipment, I've upgraded failed or failing fans with new, before or after their failure.

The cheap, overseas jobber fan they chose may not have a stated lifespan in its datasheet. It may not be roller bearing, and could the be cheaper sleeve bearing. This same problem is common on plenty of other equipment.

I'll buy the new 12/24V, 20A capable Clore or Napa, and upgrade the fan with one slightly larger if it'll fit, higher airflow, higher speed and greater stated lifespan than the fan they chose. I can buy the new fan from Digi-Key online, or pull the fan off other scrapped gear.

ugly_90

It seems that old Clore charger model will be going away. The new Napa/Clore charger supports Li-Ion, which i'm more likely to encounter in my use for backup power than in vehicles anytime soon. CBC12V20AEA for the 12V version. I bought one on sale now too. No immediate fan swap required yet.