not our event...but it certainly was an event!

Started by binch, November 28, 2022, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

I spent the weekend up in Dalbeattie Scotland at a Winch challenge event.....Marshalling for the AE 4x4 club.   The location is on the west shore of an estuary about 6 or 7 miles SW of Dalbeattie, at Orchardton Castle.   In the beginning there were 7 teams of two vehicle, who would work together on each section.  One vehicle is allowed to use two winches and the second is only allow one winch.    They can decide which vehicle goes in front.    My only discription I can give it is HOLY CRAP!!!!     Machines were meant to go up and down this stuff!!! 

They are all custom made 'buggies' with as many as 3 high speed winches (170' per minute line speed) on board.   back, front and middle (middle one can go out through the floors or roof and to either side, by they are not used in this particular event.   They are running anything from 33" to 37" tires and for the most part people are using diesels, but some auto and some standards.  wheel bases are anyting from 80" up to 108" at this one,  But one thing is for sure....they are VERY capably machines....until they break LOL

Team Ireland (one of two times from Ireland) too first place by a BIG margin and it was mostly due to Seamus (aka shamus) Doyle who's running on a smaller tire but with volvo portle axle, tdi 5 and auto gearbox.   On sunday I was marshalling section 3, which takes you down onto the Boulders on the shore for the first of three punches, before fighthing their way to 2 other punches in very inhospitable terrain.   Of the 3 teams that came through there Seamus was the only one to complete the course within the allotted 35 minutes.  In fact....Seamus (in the lead vehicle) got through the course withing 20 minutes!!!!!     I had to check my clock twice just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.   His team mate rolled their vehicle, but they worked together and got it back on it's wheels (one a steel slope) and still completed the section within the allotted time...JUST.      They were the only team to actually finish in my section withing the allotted time.

I spoke with my 'friend' Rob (he signed me up for this before telling me I was going) after the event and he told me that Seamus Doyle was on the original Top Gear with James May.   Heres' the clip I found on u toob.  note....I don't think this isn't same vehicle Seamus was driving in the event.

Cheers, Bill