Kakwa Falls

Started by rutmaster, June 13, 2022, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutmaster

As I don't have enough time to go to Cypress Hills on the July long weekend I was thinking of a trip to Kakwa Falls. Has anyone done this trip and if yes, do you have any comments, recommendations, advice?

Thanks

ugly_90

I've been near Kakwa Falls here, but never went in. I plan to visit this summer.

If I recall, it's about 10km of largely unmaintained trail, access from a maintained haul road. I think you can make the trip in the late summer with only a pickup truck.

I would expect some 'local flavor' down there, particularly on a long weekend. Broken glass, spent ammo, stolen vehicle, you could find anything there. Some flowing water, even.

The days of it being a pristine new discovery are likely behind us now. It's a long haul from Edmonton to those falls, but it could be part of camping in the area.

Alex C

I have not made it out to Kakwa, i have spent some time along the Wild hay , their are hundreds of KM of logging/oil field roads that are more fun than the highway and theirs some great backcountry camping with good stocked lakes out that way. and miles of dead end trails, easy to navigate with a back country map book

I won't make it for Canada day buy may head up that way in September

this is about an hour north of Hinton

You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

binch

I've been there a 'few years back' and it was a popular spot for the GP folks.  Like any long weekend, in any moderately popular area this place will be a bit busy.   Especially with quads.     It is very pretty country up in there and the trail is moderate really.    When you get to the falls PLEASE...Be Careful!!!!    I can't even think how many people of slipped off the walking path there and fell over the cliff.   More then I care to imagine......

And keep your camera handy........that's prime grizzly country!    I saw a silver tip female and 3 yearlings not 50' from our vehicle and all I could do was stare in amazement at their majestic beauty.  One of those sights I will always treasure!

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/alberta/kakwa-falls-trail

Another Cool drive is up to Torrens Lookout, an hour or so south of GP (just south of Two Lakes).  It's a long drive up to the top of a mountain ridge with spectacular views.   The road is call Wolverine road and when you're up on the ridge on a warm summers day it's likely you will see several eagles soaring on the up drafts as the winds blow up off the mountain.   You can continue SW along the top of the ridge a ways more to the SW.   The area down slope (to the west of the tower) looks like a loose scree slope, but if you look closer at the rocks you will see piles & piles of small petrified clam shells.
https://www.brmbmaps.com/explore/canada/alberta/greenview-no-16/torrens-fire-lookout/6453
This is where I saw the sow and her 3 yearlings ;-)
Cheers, Bill