Gauges for series 2A with 2.5NA engine conversion

Started by Green Hornet 88, March 09, 2022, 04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Hornet 88

I'm setting up my bulkhead panel, with gauges, etc. Not sure what I need going from the original petrol engine to a 2.5 diesel from a 90 defender (S/N 11J01602A). I have the speedo gauge; a LR fuel/amps gauge; a LR oil/water gauge, an aftermarket amp gauge; the diesel throttle assembly and a defender key assembly. I believe the only gauges I have that will work is the speeedo (the key/throttle have been installed)?  I need advice on what gauges and other switches/dash lights and knobs that will go with the 2.5 and where to source them? I'm going to try and attach a picture. All help and advice is certainly appreciated. Cheers Craig   You cannot view this attachment.

Alex C

you should be able to get the fuel gauge, and amp meter to work, i would switch the water temp/oil pressure gauge  out  for 2 stand alone aftermarket gauges

your going to need an ignition switch that can run the glow plug relay and the fuel pump solenoid
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Green Hornet 88

Thanks for the info Alex! If you don't mind, I can email you the info on setting up the existing oil/water gauge install info  I found on line (quite wordy for this site?) and you could advise me if it would work on the 2.5? I'd like to use the gauges I have if I can? As far as the ignition I already have an ignition (part #PRC2734) with keys, will this run the glow plug relay and fuel pump solenoid or will I need to get separate switches? I've attached a photo.
cheers Craig You cannot view this attachment.

Alex C

you can run the old school gauge if your looking for the original dash look, or put some newer gauges in for oil pressure and coolant temperature that match up to the 2.5D

For the glow plugs and the fuel pump solenoid, have a look at a schematic for a 90 with the 2.5 D that will show you were to hook up, you want the glow plugs on a momentary switch or timer, if you put them on an on off type switch and forget to turn them off they will  not last.

L:ooking forward to seeing the 88 run
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Green Hornet 88

Thanks for the info Alex, I've done some research on the old school oil/water gauge and looks like I can get it set up 'if' I can source the appropriate fittings? I put the temp sensor in some hot water and the needle went up so looks like that will work. I also did some research on the ignition switch and it looks like there are terminals for the glow plugs etc so, other than actual wiring, I should be able to set that up.  John (and Bruce) has been helping me with ideas for the fuel line instillation and dual tanks.  I have 2 fuel filters and some plumbing, I'm assuming these came off the original 2.5 engine? I want to figure the best place to mount the filters on the bulk head then it will give me an idea where the plumbing goes. Thanks to all for your ideas, help and support with my project!  Things are coming together and I'm look forward to the day I can kick the engine over! Cheers Craig