Danger of thermal runaway and shipping EVs.

Started by headdamage, March 08, 2022, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

I've heard of this other type of vehicle which is worse.  It carries-around 30-40lbs of highly flammable liquid hydrocarbons.  There are 10 times more fires from these/km driven than EVs.  Shocker (oops - bonfire!).  Plus, it is terribly inefficient, has 50 times more moving parts, emits poisonous fumes all the time, and costs 5 times as much to run.  They are slow off of the line, noisy, hard to start in the cold, require constant maintenance, and are responsible for about 1/3 of the GHG emissions.  Whatever you do, don't buy one of those!

Just sayin'.

Matt H

If you look beyond the hype, EV's are no where near as efficient, safe or environmentally friendly as they are made out to be.

If they can get a handle on ruinous environmental costs involved in building, maintaining and charging them. Develop some sort ability to recharge quickly wherever you are on the planet. Cut recharge times to 5 minutes and at least quadruple the current range then I'm sure they will be great.

Until then.....
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Can't build them without oil. Can't supply them without oil. Wholly inefficient and ineffective in cold climates.

*wandering off to throw some more coal on my smudge...just 'cause I can*
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

alany

Quote from: Matt H on April 10, 2022, 09:30 AM
If you look beyond the hype, EV's are no where near as efficient, safe or environmentally friendly as they are made out to be.

If they can get a handle on ruinous environmental costs involved in building, maintaining and charging them. Develop some sort ability to recharge quickly wherever you are on the planet. Cut recharge times to 5 minutes and at least quadruple the current range then I'm sure they will be great.

Until then.....

A majority of that is hidden to the consumer so "out of sight, out of mind" and folks get to feel good about their decision (at least for the first 7 - 8 years).

Already a Rover

Hi.  I wondered what kind of a reaction my Post would get.  I'm not surprised, and - yes - pure EVs are a compromise in some ways.

You can say all you want aboutcatastrophic fires, 'ruinous costs' and usability; no one is forcing you to buy an electric car.  But think about this:

I bought an off-lease $US35K 2016 Fiat 500E with 15,000kms on it in the US for $6K and imported it.  Landed-Cost about $CAN11K.  It now has 60,000Kms on it, and the range is maybe 5% less that it was when I got it (I check by making the 'exact' same trip every summer).  I'm not saying they are better than a gas car for everything.  I have Growler for fishing-trips etc....  Meanwhile, for 95% of my driving, the Fiat costs me about $6 a week if I drive 150Km in the summer, and about double that in the winter.  Totally-quiet, instant heat, no maintenance, and quick.  I charge off the 120V 15A wall-plug.  It is full every morning (if I bother to plug it in at all).  I'm not changing my whole life, but I try to do my part by consuming less, keeping the Rover on the road - and an EV as my daily driver is a no-brainer.  I also pay a few cents/kWh extra for electricity from a renewable source.

No-offense to who said it - but you don't need to be able to charge your car "anywhere on the planet."  Chill.  I'm just hoping to pass-on a livable planet to the next generation (and fish until I die). 

headdamage

Nice conversion but only has 240km range.

Matt H

By pretending EV's in their current form are the answer to any kind of serious climate debate means ignoring some pretty big issues.
Could they become part of a solution? Possibly, but they will need to address some pretty big hurdles first. And not just technical but also massive logistical and geo-political as well.
You think the world is unstable now because of the outsized influence of oil in the geopolitical landscape?
The move to mass EV's adoption almost triples the various countries that would need to be involved large scale in just the raw material supply chain to make that work. And a good portion of those countries are openly hostile to the places that are pushing hardest for an EV future.

I don't care if folks want to buy an EV or retro fit a system into an existing vehicle. It's actually a pretty cool idea and they certainly do have many positives.

However, leaving aside all the other issues and looking at the refuelling problem only. If you take on any extended trip in a remote area (such as one might undertake in a Land Rover) problems refuelling is going to be a factor. If the suggested solution is to remain in an area with access to a recharging station I think you might be missing my point.

And as to whether I'm being forced to buy one.
The Liberal government wants to ban new fossil fuel powered vehicle sales by 2035... so there's that.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage