Inspection for insurance

Started by Craig B, February 19, 2022, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig B

I have been working on my Discovery 1 and am getting close to where I would like to be able to try it out and get an Inspection for insurance.

Are there any shops in Edmonton area that you guys would recommend ? I always worry that the shop will want everything like new , and want to replace every darn part. I just want to know it is safe .

Thanks!

Red90

Insurance inspections are very basic.  They just look at the main safety items.

Craig B

Thanks red90. I haven't tried to insure an older vehicle since the 80's so I wasn't quite sure what is involved. It has been registered in Alberta since it was new so just the basic insurance safety check is what I should need.

Craig B

binch

Go through Bert & Dave at "Sports Car Centre" at 12116 - 121A street, Edmonton 780 440-9426.    If it's unsafe Bert will tell you in no uncertain terms, but he's knows the landies and will be realistic too.   

cheers, Bill
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Big thumbs up for Bert's shop. They do great work and call it as it is.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Craig B

Thanks for the suggestion
I sent them an email . I would probably pull it in on a trailer I am just seeing if they have room to unload and stuff.

I had an email from britpart in December as well letting me know that their shop also is a distributor for all the rover britpart  parts. If I need some odds and ends it sounds like they can get them as well so that's great!

binch

If the vehicle is registered in the province and mechanically sound to drive at this point, you can get a temporary license for five days that will allow you to transport the vehicle under it's "own steam".   And speak to your insurance agent to get it covered temporarily while to do it.    But they do have room to unload there.   If Bert hasn't responded to you today (family day and all) I'm sure I'll be emailing you tomorrow from the shop ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Craig B

I did get an email reply !

I will look into the five day insurance so I can check it after doing the brakes and other odds and ends.

My shop is out in the Stony Plain area , so a short drive into the city providing it is working ok. It did seem great on a short test drive I took in December except for the brakes were not good at all. I think it had sat for a number of months so rotors were a bit rusty and all the pads were worn a fair bit.  Rotors all within spec and look nice one cleaned up a bit. Hopefully new pads help it stop a bit better.

It wasn't great in high range , but wow in low range it was a bit scary trying to stop it when I loaded it on my trailer .

Abs light is on, haven't got to check on that yet, hopefully not too complicated although I have read where some people hate the abs on these and disconnect them, so I will check if previous owner had fuse pulled or something.

Thanks again for the responses it is much appreciated!!

Trevor

Quote from: Craig B on February 22, 2022, 11:31 AM

It wasn't great in high range , but wow in low range it was a bit scary trying to stop it when I loaded it on my trailer .

Abs light is on, haven't got to check on that yet, hopefully not too complicated although I have read where some people hate the abs on these and disconnect them, so I will check if previous owner had fuse pulled or something.

Thanks again for the responses it is much appreciated!!

With that braking issue, did you have decent pressure on the pedal  at least? Or was the entire system rather non-responsive?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Craig B

Trevor the brake pedal felt ok, wasn't spongy and didn't go to the floor. In low range it just didn't feel like it had much of a hope to stop it. High range it didn't feel great but would stop ok. I wouldn't have wanted to slam on the brakes at a high speed, and going down a steep hill in low range I don't think it would have slowed it down much.

I will get back pads done this week, and try it in my shop yard to see if it is any better.

I do have spare master cylinder, booster and pretty much everything else as I bought a ton of parts for Discovery 1's
This  month . Not sure on ABS parts though.

Red90

The booster is probably dead. Those particular ones seem to have a high failure rate. Check to see if it holds vacuum.

Craig B

I finally got the discovery into The Sports Car Center Shop in Edmonton for it's insurance inspection .

Very nice people who know what they are doing! I got to meet Bill and Bert .

The little red Discovery passed and I am very pleased to be able to drive it around .

Thanks for the recommendation for that shop. It is great to know there is a shop in Edmonton that knows Land rovers!