Discovery 1 rapid blinking signal lights

Started by Craig B, January 14, 2022, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig B

First post on this forum. First land rover as well!   Purchased a 1998 discovery 1 with a few issues.

One I am currently working on is that the signal lights blink rapidly, both sides. Front , rear and the side marker lights are good. Bumper lights on rear have broken connectors. I am not sure if not having bumper lights would cause this.

Four way flashers work as they should.

Trailer wiring has been spliced in, I am going to look to see if the factory rover plug is there , not sure why previous owner wouldn't have used it. Trailer harness goes.from five to four wire which I believe is correct .

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Craig

Red90

The flashing rate is related to the load on the flasher unit.  Less load and they flash quicker.  This lets you know a bulb is burnt out by the lights flashing faster.  So, yes, it could be due to the broken light.  It could also be that someone has installed LED bulbs.

Craig B

I will hook a couple extra lights up and see if it helps, bulbs I have checked so far are not led, need to pull front signal bulbs out and check them .

Craig B

Having the two extra signals worked to slow the blinking down to a normal rate. Now I just need to find some bulb sockets and connectors and that problem is solved.

BurbleBeast

When I added a few LED bulbs, I swapped my flasher relay out for an EP26 relay (commonly used in Jeeps) that cost me around $30. Seems to last much longer than the Wipac and Britpart ones with the knob on top. Should be able to pick one up pretty easy at any 4X4 place in town or online. These LED compatible ones have some sort of "brain" in them that automatically adjusts your flash speed.

You could also pick up two ballast/resistor blocks and splice one into each side in a dry/protected place. Saves you having to wire in extra sockets and add bulbs. The ohm rating would depend on your bulbs and the amount of extra resistance you need.

Craig B

I thought about changing the relay , but having the lights working again in the bumper would be nice. They seem to have two little metal prongs,.one is broke off in each side. I don't know if any bulb sockets can be had other than the rover ones or if something can be be wired in without having the extra connection to the bulb socket. Less connections in that area should be better with it being more exposed to the elements on the rear of the discovery.

BurbleBeast

The D1 and D2 use the same light sockets and plugs on the back end. The actual light housing is a little different though. Might be able to find one at the wreckers and spend 5 mins grabbing the 4 light holders (twist out) and a foot or so of each of the wires. Note that the D2 wires are differently colour coded, but it wont stop them from working.