Grand Prairie Air Show / Races

Started by B-Red, January 11, 2022, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I just saw a post about a proposed NASCAR style airplane races to take place on Canada day Weekend. I have never been to such a show. Would make for a fun club event to drive up there and have some good aviation and camping / trails fun.
Who is interested?

Trevor

Nuts, we have a yearly reunion bash that weekend so I can't make it. It sounds like a great time though! Air races are very fun to watch. Years back I attended some in Houston. Lots of horsepower and speed, what's not  to like!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: B-Red on January 11, 2022, 02:16 PM
I just saw a post about a proposed NASCAR style airplane races to take place on Canada day Weekend. I have never been to such a show. Would make for a fun club event to drive up there and have some good aviation and camping / trails fun.
Who is interested?

All I've found is a proposal for 'Great Alberta Air Race and Fly-in' to be held at whitecourt on Canada day and then they move the show up to Grande Prairie for July 8th.

I would love to see a NASCAR fly.....the landing would be spectacular!!!

There is also the 'Western Canada Rally Championship' if you are into rally racing.....

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Quote from: binch on January 11, 2022, 11:29 PM
Quote from: B-Red on January 11, 2022, 02:16 PM
Who is interested?

All I've found is a proposal for 'Great Alberta Air Race and Fly-in' to be held at whitecourt on Canada day and then they move the show up to Grande Prairie for July 8th.

I would love to see a NASCAR fly.....the landing would be spectacular!!!

There is also the 'Western Canada Rally Championship' if you are into rally racing.....

It's a developing story. The Sherwood Park Radio Club are following up on the details. The presentation to council was last couple of days.

Will let you know as it becomes clearer.
GP area has some great trails and areas to explore. A summer trip there can be fun. Am sure Adam can help identifying some of the trails

ugly_90

I'm sure I could mark out on a map the few places where I haven't been stuck yet. Bring chains, shameless plug for Trygg chains, they seem to fit best on my Toyo M-55's.

It seems a long way to go for an airshow. Might they come to Red Deer, or someplace closer? It would make a better business case in my mind. Unless they're slinging Lightweights under Wessex helicopters here, it's hard for me to see the Landrover connection.

I've put a few postings over the past few years of trip ideas in this region, including:

- Find the remnants of the abandoned 1930's Monkman Pass Highway from Rio Grande, AB.
- Follow the trail of the failed Bedaux Expedition of 1937 here. Bring your Citreon Half-track, champagne and leave your wife at home. Bring your Italian mistress, to keep it authentic.
- Omineca area Gold Trails and Ghost Towns has been discussed before.

Most of the undeveloped forest areas of crown land are south of Grande Prairie. It's mostly farmland in the other directions, unless you get a few hours away.

B-Red

Quote from: ugly_90 on January 12, 2022, 09:09 PM
I'm sure I could mark out on a map the few places where I haven't been stuck yet. Bring chains, shameless plug for Trygg chains, they seem to fit best on my Toyo M-55's.

It seems a long way to go for an airshow. Might they come to Red Deer, or someplace closer? It would make a better business case in my mind. Unless they're slinging Lightweights under Wessex helicopters here, it's hard for me to see the Landrover connection.

I've put a few postings over the past few years of trip ideas in this region, including:

- Find the remnants of the abandoned 1930's Monkman Pass Highway from Rio Grande, AB.
- Follow the trail of the failed Bedaux Expedition of 1937 here. Bring your Citreon Half-track, champagne and leave your wife at home. Bring your Italian mistress, to keep it authentic.
- Omineca area Gold Trails and Ghost Towns has been discussed before.

Most of the undeveloped forest areas of crown land are south of Grande Prairie. It's mostly farmland in the other directions, unless you get a few hours away.

Any chance you can post a region Pam with start points for such trails?
Being promoted as an international race, it adds flavor to it of excitement and the different manufacturers who will be present. Makes up for a fun week

pbossen

Hi All
I am located in Grande Prairie, unfortunately my 66 SWB will not be ready for any excursions this summer, i would be happy to meet up if anyone make the trip up here.
Regards,
Ben

binch

It's been an awful long time but I remembering taking a drive up to Torrens Lookout (once upon a time).    Really nice outing up that way, petrified mussels, Silver tip sow and two cubs, Torrens falls, Eagles hanging in the updrafts off of Soaring Ridge.    It would be nice to head up that way for a weekend again 8)
Cheers, Bill