2.5 NA engine rebuild

Started by camo388, September 10, 2015, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

I have been getting my 2.5 NA diesel engine rebuilt and have some costs if others are interested.
I used Curtis Halvorson from Extreme Engine Development for dismantling, cleaning, machining and rebuild.  His bill was $2639.18
I ordered bearings and gaskets through Bill Inch and this came to $900
Reconditioned injectors from John Richards Surplus, UK, was $269
The injector pump was rebuilt by Taber Diesel Service Ltd and their bill was $1,754.51  :o
The grand total is $5,562.69
I was happy with Curtis's work and within a couple hours we had the engine stripped, parts in for cleaning, caustic bath for engine block and a parts list for a standard engine with normal wear.  I made up a parts order to send to Bill with delivery to John Barge in Calgary.  Curtis used the prefinished cam bearings from Turner Engineering UK, with minor adjustment for proper fit. 
Curtis sent the injector pump and injectors to Taber Diesel Service, who he normally uses for injector and pump rebuild.  The invoice was a mild shock and the injectors were not rebuilt as I could get reconditioned one from John Richards Surplus, UK for at least 1/2 the price even after shipping was added.  I thought Adam spent a lot having his pump rebuilt in UK but it turns out that would be a cheaper way to go.
Over all happy with the work and on next engine would do a few things different.  I like the one stop shopping with Curtis for dismantle, cleaning, machining and rebuild.
Maybe I could have saved money by doing my own dismantle and cleaning but Curtis sees any problems as he dismantles and he is much better set up for different cleaning operations for different components.  Machining done at one location saves a lot of running around and as I live near Drayton Valley, there is no one local for engine machining.  Injector pump I would send to UK for rebuild and have shipped back with parts order through Britpart. 
As I wasn't in a rush for the engine, the bills came in over several months and therefore my wallet wasn't hit hard, all at once.  ;D
Now I've got to get a few other projects out of the way before I can start reassemble of the 110.

Red90

Is Bill saying the injection pumps are not available?  I see it in the list....as new at a fraction of your rebuild cost.

Even retail $600 http://www.paddockspares.com/erc6761-distributor-pump-recon.html as a recon.

ugly_90

The 300GBP special is similar to what Britpart carries. A reconditioned pump of unknown origin. I paid around 450GBP for the Breedon rebuild. I was willing to pay a premium. Worthwhile peace of mind for the 150GBP. Taber can charge a bit more, given less supply, more demand for their work. You do get what you pay for. Most of the used exmod pumps I've been through here in AB have one defect or another.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on September 10, 2015, 01:44 PM
Is Bill saying the injection pumps are not available?  I see it in the list....as new at a fraction of your rebuild cost.

Even retail $600 http://www.paddockspares.com/erc6761-distributor-pump-recon.html as a recon.

Nope...they are still available. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: ugly_90 on September 10, 2015, 08:44 PMThe 300GBP special is similar to what Britpart carries. A reconditioned pump of unknown origin.

Nope.  Britpart carries new, not rebuild CAV brand pumps.

camo388

I'll blame Curtis for paying more for Canadian rebuild over UK rebuild, as he is not here to defend himself. ;D  He had sent the pump to Taber as he normally does with any injector pump that comes in with the engine he is rebuilding.  There was a failure to communicate between Curtis, Taber and myself so when I got a quote and questioned it, it turned out to be Claus's.  My rebuild was to be cheaper and I had assumed rebuilding what I had would be cheaper than getting a rebuilt out of UK.  I didn't even look into the price of UK rebuild.  I knew injectors were cheap enough not to even consider rebuilding especially as Taber shop rate is $110 per hour.
Live and learn.

ugly_90

I guess someone will have to order up a BP pump again to confirm it is new CAV unrebuilt. The Paddocks and John Craddocks pumps at 300GBP were rebuild, odd that a new one is coming in at the same price. The genuine new LR price is sky high, at 1392GBP via Rimmers.

Red90

The Land Rover box is expensive.