Alexander MacKenzie Trail

Started by binch, February 23, 2015, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

Dave Blair of the BC Roverlanders will be joining us next Wednesday at the gathering in Edmonton.   Last time he was at our gathering was about 10 years ago (the year we started the club) and he gave us a presentation of the Alexander MacKenzie trail trip they did the year before.    Well this time he may have a new video clip of the AMT to show us ;-)   If everything works out it might be a very interesting gathering next Wednesday evening at the Sideliner Pub. ;)   

Besides...it's always good to have Dave come join us for the evening
Cheers, Bill

Red90

I thought Dave would have been showing the Bateman/Foster video.

binch

He hasn't said anything about that but you never know what he'll have on his laptop ;D

I'm very curious to see this vid of the newer landies doing the AMT.   What I saw of the short trailer looked pretty interesting.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

When you say newer landies Bill, is this a video of the trip you were on back in 2008, or something they did since then?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

No, this trip was done a couple of years after our trip in 2008 (I think it was 2010 but not sure).  They had only a couple of defenders for support vehicles but otherwise your RRS would have been right at home with that group..

The video you are thinking about was from the BCRoverland's trip in 2006 or around there.   
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

That should be an interesting video then. I didn't know they had been through there just recently. Have you talked with him about that trip, or is this news for you as well?

I'm curious what the trail was like...mostly the condition of the forest as that area has been hit pretty hard with pine beetles and I would suspect has seen its fair share of fires as a result.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

When John and I joined their group a few years back Dave had mentioned that they had a group from the states interested in doing this trip using him as a guide.    I'm not clear if this was sponsored by a Land rover dealership down that way or not.    I know they finished it but I never did hear the end results so I'm very much looking forward to this video, and picking Dave's brains about their experience with the newer landies.

When we did our trip I was amazed at the shear size the pine beetle kill area was!!!   As we drove into open areas the hills to the south of us were almost all rust brown colour in the foliage.   Since they haven't been getting any long periods of -30 or colder weather the beetles have been doing very well.   They are harvesting the affected trees but due to the blue gray staining of the wood the demand is very limitied in north America.   Fortunately it has been selling very well in Asian markets as the stained wood seems to be a specialty item.   There's nothing wrong with the wood....it just isn't a popular colour here.   

Emad had brought up concerns about the fires in the area too.    But each province does a pretty good job of mapping their fires seasonally as it impacts the resouces available.    BC does a pretty good job of it too   http://bcwildfire.ca/History/ let's you see the fire zones for the previous three years.   

This link lists various districts and their fire activities.  http://bcwildfire.com/hprScripts/WildfireNews/FireCentrePage.asp

And if all else fails use Google Maps to have a 1:50000 view of the area.  Depending on how recent their imagery was you will have a good idea of both fire activity and the beetle damage areas. 

All that said.....I'm looking forward to this trip and the fun we will have.    PS...if you need your chain (for your chainsaws) sharpened for the trip bring them by and we'll get them done hhahahhahhahahah
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Those links are quite handy Bill, thanks. Looks like 2013 saw a fair bit of burns through that area. Will definitely be interesting to hear what Dave has to say!
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Pan Philips old fly in fishing camp (our half way point and day off for leisure stop) had a fire on the north shore of it but the area we will be travelling though wasn't affected.    Considering the access to that area and the amount of timber out there it hasn't been too bad really.   Besides....my idea of a big fire is 1million plus acres, like we had here in 1980 and 81.    Now them was big fires.  Done gone run outta marshmellows and weinies on that one!!!
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Here is a video about the history of the Land Rover through the lens of the National Geographic Channel. Good for a Sunday morning show.

http://youtu.be/u5yiM2vh3UU

I am so looking forward to this trip ...147 sleeps to go  ;)

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on March 01, 2015, 09:39 AM

I am so looking forward to this trip ...147 sleeps to go  ;)

Rofl, that's priceless :)
― George Orwell, 1984