Help with Disco repair or restore

Started by Ron T, July 27, 2021, 09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron T

I logged in to the forum today as I must do something to restore, repair, or replace my 97 Disco.  There happened to be a 97 Disco listed here that is of interest, but travel from Yellowknife is prohibitively expensive. If this goes anywhere I'd like to pay someone to take a look at the vehicle, whatever work it may require would need to be done in Alberta as I haven't found anywhere here (Yellowknife) to work on them.

Another possibility, as my wife had suggested, would be very expensive but we very much like our Disco, is to search out a shop to restore either mine (or a purchased replacement).  So I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations of shops that would consider taking on the job.  It would take quite a bit of time and work.

Anyone with some ideas?

Ron Thompson, Yellowknife, NT

binch

Maybe post some pics of your truck to show what work needs to be done.   Is this a body or mechanical restoration your looking at?    What kind of budget are you looking at?   Either way....it's going to be $$$
Cheers, Bill

Ron T

Thanks for the reply.  We were thinking it would be in the $$$ to $$$$ or more range :-)
My thinking and concerns may be a bit off, but I'm going to claim my seniors discount on rational thought.  Might be hard to shock me with an estimate.

Why not new? - a) I don't like the idea of the dealer/manufacturer controlling or limiting what I can do with my vehicle and who will service it. b) I don't like frivolous non-optional features, c) after living here 16 years finding a trustworthy shop has been a challenge so I'll need to do as much work as I can myself, d)I'm persuaded that new vehicles are built to last X number of years after which critical parts will no longer be available

Why consider putting money into restoring mine? a) I already have some spare parts, b) I'm  familiar, with it's handling which is kind of important on our winter roads, c) my wife likes it, a real plus, especially the headrests which she hasn't liked on any rental vehicles when we travel and rent a car, d) I'd like to do some modifications to the body to accommodate my amateur radio gear, d) I don't think I've seen anything as easy to do common repairs on, e) it only needs to hold up for the remaining years before someone insists that for health or age reasons I give up driving myself.

I've watched mine deteriorate over the years, I can accept that it may not be salvageable, so I'm open to finding a 1998 or earlier replacement that would be less costly to restore.

Ron

Matt H

Don't start a restoration unless it's special in some way or has a great body & chassis.

If replacing always buy the best one you can afford. Even if it's overpriced you will be dollars ahead over one at a cheaper price that needs some help.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Ron T

Thanks Matt,

I'll figure your 2c into the budget :-)  And I'll be following your advice, paying less heed to the cost in order to get a better longer term vehicle.

BurbleBeast

When I was in Calgary a few weeks ago, Vern at TRS had a pristine low mileage D1. Fully original, down to the tyres and all!
Might be worth giving him a shout to see if he still has it or not.
https://www.trsauto.ca/

Ron T

Thanks, I looked at the website, might be interesting.

headdamage

I can visit trs to check it out if you like.

Ron T

I could phone first on Tuesday and see if they still have it, if they do and its affordable I'd appreciate you taking a look at it.

headdamage

Send a pm with your phone number if you do want me to go have a look at it.

Ron T

Hi, I phoned twice today and ended up at a message machine.  I didn't leave a message, but I did fill out the contact form.  No on has gotten back to me from TRS.

Red90

They are moving, so could be hard to contact.

Ron T

Thanks, I'll wait then for them to reply to the contact form.

BurbleBeast

Just remembered that Azeem at O'Brians has a D1 that he has been working on. New paint etc.
1997 se7, 131,000 +/- on the odometer. Not 100% yet, but getting there.

Let me know if you are interested, and I can send you his mobile #

Ron T

Hi,  been distracted for a couple of days.  Yes I'm interested in getting more information on it if it will be up for sale.