Paint Removal.... What are some of the best ways you guys have remove old paint?

Started by dijansmith, July 11, 2021, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dijansmith

Ok... I started on removing some paint from my front Wings, Pounded out a couple (ok AAAALLLOOOOTTT) dings... I am looking for any input to removing several layers of paint..
her is a couple pics of before... and one of after..... Keep in mind the nose panels (L&R) You cannot view this attachment.  were replaced!
Regards,

Dion

ugly_90

Lots of dents in the photos, but I don't see much of a paint problem. It looks like you only have a few coats on there, and not the dozen coats of army paint that I had.

You would try something like "Circa 1850"  paint stripper? I think mechanical removal of paint would be a hassle, but you may need to do that too. Will all of the paint have to go if you're just priming over it and respraying?

dijansmith

Thanks Ugly_90. This little guy is  my 2Door and has very little paint on it. Like your Ex-mil, my 4-door that I have has Lots of paint on it... I am going to look at AC stripper as an option as well...

mike.heathcote

AC stripper works well, I've found.  Alternatively, try one of those 3M pads on a grinder/power drill.  They work well and don't score the aluminum - and are quicker than sandpaper.

binch

If the old paint is a thin coat and it's sticking....why remove it?   Any new paint will bond much better to the old paint then the aluminium so it would give you less area to put the self etching primer on to. ???
Cheers, Bill

camo388

On my ex-military 110 with many layers of paint, I used a heat gun and putty knife.  I did the job outside to avoid fumes.  It was late fall so colder weather which I think actually helped.  I could only heat a small area at a time and when paint was soft, just scrape it off.  With care I could remove paint and leave primer.  I did front wings and hard top mainly because there were many holes where Army had bolted on brackets, that I wanted filled.  I've left the body because I though it was too much work.  I intended to keep it some what military looking, not show room perfect, so lightly sanded for paint adhesion should be enough.  I first used a small propane torch with wide tip for heating but it tended to burn the paint.  An electric heat gun gave more heat control.  Sometimes when it was going good I could take off a strip 2 or 3" wide and several feet long without any trouble.  I might be wrong but still feel the cooler weather was a help.

dijansmith

stretch1940

Well I'm a little old and slow. I didn't know what AC stripper was so I googled it, a AC stripper is a stripper from Atlantic City. That helps but I can't figure out how she takes paint off a Land Rover?
Hmmmmm

dijansmith

LOL. A/C stands for AirCraft paint stripper. Next, a friend told me about another paint stripper and now I have a sample of it. I will try shortly and let the group know about the results.