LR3 v6 engine replacement options

Started by grizzlychicken, February 16, 2021, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlychicken

So while building my defender I had to replace my crappy vehicle and bought an LR3 v6 2006 (arguably still a crappy vehicle ;). On Saturday it died  on the highway and it was towed to TRS automotive.
Chatting to the guys today it may be the timing belt that has skipped and they have recommended engine replacement.......

So just checking in what the options may be. They recommended a Ford v6 I think cologne engine which they say is pretty much a direct swap. Apparently way cheaper than a Land Rover engine and more reliable.  Anyone have any experience with this swap? Is it a shop must do or is it doable at a home shop? Where is a good source for an engine? What parts are not directly compatible and would there need to be fabrication for the swap eg engine mounts etc.

Would you rebuild the current engine? TRS says the block is likely compromised.

Would you upgrade to a different engine?

Would you scrap the vehicle given the cost?

TRS are quoting around $5600 for the replacement ford engine.

I'm leaning towards getting them to do it unless there is another good option that will save me $$.

I have tools for the swap and could likely figure it out but lack skills to fabricate engine mounts. And my defender is taking up a bunch of space in the garage right now dang it.

binch

Bummer!    Right out of my expertise but $5600 for an engine replacement doesn't sound that bad, if it includes the price of the engine as well.    Don't know anything about the engines though......    Good luck with this all the same.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

As I understand it the Ford engine is what is there currently so is not a change.

Changing to some other engine would be very complex if not impossible as the many computers need to remain happy with each other.

Trevor

$5600 is a steal if that includes the rebuilt engine with a warranty.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on February 17, 2021, 07:03 AM
...if that includes the rebuilt engine with a warranty.

There is no way that would be a rebuilt engine.  Just an engine from a junkyard Ford. It was a common Ford engine.

ugly_90

Wouldn't $5600 be most of the value of a used LR3? They can't be going for much more at local auction, if you could find one.

There's a risk though, you might find an auction unit with a failing engine, but you're there already.

Don't put good money into bad equipment. Spend the $5600 on the Defender build instead.

grizzlychicken

Quote from: ugly_90 on February 17, 2021, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't $5600 be most of the value of a used LR3? They can't be going for much more at local auction, if you could find one.

There's a risk though, you might find an auction unit with a failing engine, but you're there already.

Don't put good money into bad equipment. Spend the $5600 on the Defender build instead.
Yup I have been looking and probably in the condition of the truck I have  the value is probably 7-9k with a running engine. You are right it is a selected used engine with a short warranty that the shop will go through and check compression and timing belt etc. I believe that these ford engines are quite a bit more reliable than the original LR3 and the timing belt is a common issue more with the LR engine.
I debated about repairing it myself but I have too many projects already and need a vehicle. Pick and pull has a Ford v6 4.0 from an explorer for around $250. But I would want to rebuild it myself and it's just too much time! Prob 20-30 hours for the rebuild, $6-800 in rebuild kit parts then 30-40 hours for me to swap the engine out. Cheaper but a lot of time and I'm too slow! I think I'm going to get the engine changed out as think that it will be the most reliable option at this stage.
Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

Quote from: grizzlychicken on February 17, 2021, 02:16 PM
I believe that these ford engines are quite a bit more reliable than the original LR3 and the timing belt is a common issue more with the LR engine.

Using the word reliable and Ford in the same sentence is grammatically incorrect.

I'm quite sure that they are the exact same engine. They were owned by Ford at the time and there are a lot of direct Ford parts all over the vehicle. It is a timing chain, not a belt.  The tensioners fail and allow the chain to slip. Obviously there are various versions through the years and perhaps a newer version fixed the issue.  In any case that whole part of the engine should be replaced and upgraded if possible. Apparently people change the tensioners regularly despite it being a huge job.

Matt H

If it were mine I'd part it out and buy another LR3 with the 4.4L V8.

One of the most reliable petrol engines ever to be put into a Land Rover. The Ford V6s and early LR4/FFRR 5.0L V8's were the ones with timing problems. 

MPG is just about the same but with noticeably more power.

$8-12k should find you one with lower mileage worth having.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on February 17, 2021, 07:21 AM
Quote from: Trevor on February 17, 2021, 07:03 AM
...if that includes the rebuilt engine with a warranty.

There is no way that would be a rebuilt engine.  Just an engine from a junkyard Ford. It was a common Ford engine.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't go that route. That spins it around completely.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Yup, I remember you writing about the V8 with the locking rear diff option......    That sounds like a good plan to me too  ;)
Cheers, Bill