Vehicle Communications?

Started by Matt H, February 03, 2021, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

So what is everyone using these days for their communications needs?
Emergency?
Logging road monitoring?
Weather?
Vehicle to vehicle (person to person)?
Short range/long range?

Other than using radio communications (what seems now like 100 years ago) in my Army days I've pretty much only used CB units for the trail.

What's new in coms?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

CB for vehicle to vehicle.  It is the only legal option in Canada for mobile use unless everyone has a HAM license.  In reality it works fine.  Rarely is there an issue.  The trip we did in August, we split up a fair ways at times and stayed in contact.

A GMRS mobile is an option.  Only legal in the US, but it is doubtful you would get in trouble here as the frequencies are legal.  You are just not allowed a mobile radio and the higher wattage. But then everyone would need one, so we are back with the CB. Handhelds are basically useless between vehicles. If Canada ever gets on board, this would be a good way to go.

Logging roads...  Nothing.  Might get a scanner to listen.  It is nicer these days as they have standardized the channels.  You can legally get a transmitting radio and a license, if you want. I think the license is $75 a year. And a few hundred for a legal radio. Really listening should be enough as they are not pulling over for you anyway.

Emergency.  Zoleo satellite communicator.  Can SMS or email anyone anywhere.

Weather.  The CB has weather radio.  Zoleo also does weather.

ugly_90

Vehicle-mounted CB and handheld CB/FRS radios are your only choices without getting your radio license in Canada as a noncommercial user.

It isn't hard for the license, just read the $50 basic qualification study guide and write the test. Fairly simple theory and concepts probably needed elsewhere in life, frequency, wavelength and the like. You no longer need morse at all, and will receive shortwave privileges if you do well on your basic test

This summer I participated in "ARRL field day", a yearly off-grid exercise for radio comms, with the Land Rover 90 FFR . I had long ago retired the heavy rotted steel radio table, and replaced it with a homemade one from scrap lumber.

I found a deal on two good AGM 12V batteries from the scrap metal dealer to make the 24V I needed. I installed them under the table. The radio is a military Yugoslav RU-20/PRC-515, assembled in Zagreb from Canadian parts under license. The mast is from surplus sections at Princess Auto, and the wire antenna is Chinese.

With this field setup I can have international communication on some bands, and cover this side of the continent on other bands.

Kids these days can't communicate without their iphone, google, youtube, tiktok.. Keep it simple.

binch

On the way to the trail (for the most part) I text with my phone. 

On the trail I use my CB.   

For emergency comms in the back country the club has a SPOT Beacon, which allows limited access to satellite coms.   A text message can be sent out and received, Route tracking can be recorded and uploaded to the net, SOS emergency calls can be directed immediately (well almost) to authorities to initiate rescue (Police, Park Wardens, etc).   It has a monthly or annual coverage fee which gives limited comms or unlimited, depending on the package.

I find that covers everything I need just fine ;-)

You should check out Red90's new CB....tiny thing!!!!

;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Silence is golden lol. Firing three shots in case of emergency gets you help. Smoke signals also still work.

CBs are dime a dozen these days. You can get a cheap used one easily if you talk to the HAM radio club members. Many fellows have them collecting dust.

Key is to tune the CB antenna properly to be clear.

I also have a Commercial Radio for the LAN channels. Comes in handy when you want to talk to the Semi trucks on the highway. Some trails want you to radio in to check before you enter.

Some FRS radios are programmable and have five watt instead of half watt. Illegal if you don't have a HAM license and the high output is not allowed in Canada.
Emad

Matt H

Interesting, I was under the impression that VHF was becoming increasingly popular for remote travel? Of course the whole licensing thing is a bit of a hassle.
I should probably look into correctly turning my CB as a first step as I'm certainly not getting the range John appears to be able to get on his Radio.

Red90

Quote from: B-Red on February 04, 2021, 10:12 AM
Some FRS radios are programmable and have five watt instead of half watt. Illegal if you don't have a HAM license and the high output is not allowed in Canada.
Emad

A 5 Watt FRS/GMRS is still illegal with a HAM license.  The HAM license only allows you to broadcast on frequencies specified for HAM use.

The limit in Canada is not 0.5 Watts.  It is 2 Watts on GMRS channels. In addition only handhelds are allowed which are not useful in mobile comms.  In the US, 5 Watts is allowed on handheld and 50 Watts on mobile. Bringing that to Canada would make a simple replacement for CBs.

FRS/GMRS is 462 and 467 MHz.  Amateur radio in that area is 420–450 MHz. A legal amateur UHF radio will not allow programming above 450 MHz.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_frequency_allocations

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on February 04, 2021, 10:39 AM
Interesting, I was under the impression that VHF was becoming increasingly popular for remote travel? Of course the whole licensing thing is a bit of a hassle.
I should probably look into correctly turning my CB as a first step as I'm certainly not getting the range John appears to be able to get on his Radio.

VHF is becoming popular.  But, it is illegal without a HAM license.  The problem is that illegal radios are very cheap and easy to purchase, and there is no enforcement, so most do not care.

DBrands

I'm sold on CB. I installed one last summer, and was impressed by the range and clarity.
Previously, I only experience a couple very poor quality setups in friends vehicles.

On the Rockies trip last summer I headed to town for fuel, and I caught John and Andrew commenting on campsites from ~10km away. Again, impressed.

I suppose VHF is better; range, size of equipment, etc... but CB is fine for me here in Canada, so long as everyone else I'm travelling with is on CB...
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Matt H

Sounds like I need an education in CB radio set up. I'm not getting even close to that sort of range.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on February 24, 2021, 02:15 PM
Sounds like I need an education in CB radio set up. I'm not getting even close to that sort of range.

Setting up a CB/antenna is an art form, one that I have yet to master. Much electronic wizardry and whatnot.

I think my problem is I'm not sacrificing the chicken at the proper moment...or perhaps not enough eye-of-newt. Hard to say...
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

😂 I haven't added eye of newt either , so that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.

B-Red

Check out the Mexican guy at Radio Shack on Main Street in Moab. He tinned mine and I never looked back. Tell him I sent you ok
Emad.

Red90

Should be a plan at a gathering to check and adjust SWR.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on February 25, 2021, 01:51 PM
Should be a plan at a gathering to check and adjust SWR.

Sounds like something for a clinic this spring.    We have the technology and expertise to get this done ;-)
Cheers, Bill