TD5 - 10P vs. 15P

Started by GR8PMKN, January 04, 2021, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GR8PMKN

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is "Technical" or "Non-Technical" discussion, but I'm on the hunt for a Defender 130, and need advice.  As all the 300TDIs are getting very expensive, I'm leaning towards a TD5.  From the research I've done, I know that there were issues that got sorted in 2002 after the TD5 was released in 1999.  The plastic dowels for the head and the thread locker for the oil pump seem semi-easily remedied (likely have been done already), but I'm concerned about the cylinder heads being redesigned also after finding they were prone to cracking in the early years.  I also believe that the pre-2002 computers cannot be re-mapped/flashed unless you do brain surgery and replace a chip on the motherboard (no thanks), and at some point post-2002 traction control was added.

Would you be too concerned about buying a pre-2002 TD5, or am I worrying for nothing?

binch

There seem to be plenty of them on the road still.   Odds are if the engine was looked after well and hasn't broken in the past 150km then something is going well.  But, like anything in life.   It's a crap shoot and you take your chances  LOL ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I wouldn't sweat it. Internet is an amazing resource but it can tend to magnify problems beyond their true scale.
But then again I currently run a 2004 Disco 2 with the 4.6L, a 2011 FFRR with the 5.0L and a 2006 Ford F-350 with the 6.0L Diesel with no serious problems. All have very poor reliability according to 'what is known' so you can take that with a pinch of salt.
I'm either a glutton for punishment, extremely lucky or just plain awesome 😎 lol
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on January 06, 2021, 05:48 PM
...or just plain awesome 😎 lol

Well we know THAT'S not it! ;->
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Cheers, Bill

GR8PMKN

That's hilarious.  ;D

That being said, who do you guys use for insurance for a Defender that originally came from out-of-country?  I'm getting the run-around saying that they'll only cover 3rd party, and won't cover the cost of the vehicle for an accident or fire, theft, or vandalism.

Red90

Quote from: GR8PMKN on January 07, 2021, 02:02 PM
That's hilarious.  ;D

That being said, who do you guys use for insurance for a Defender that originally came from out-of-country?  I'm getting the run-around saying that they'll only cover 3rd party, and won't cover the cost of the vehicle for an accident or fire, theft, or vandalism.

Is it right hand drive?  Yes.  Most companies have agreed to that policy.  They are actively trying to get RHD imports banned.

http://alre.club/Forum/index.php?topic=1661.msg10993

GR8PMKN

No, it's LHD.  I got it all sorted out with my other company for cheaper than I thought it would be.  Thanks for the advice!  :D

Matt H

Quote from: Trevor on January 06, 2021, 06:54 PM
Quote from: Matt H on January 06, 2021, 05:48 PM
...or just plain awesome 😎 lol

Well we know THAT'S not it! ;->

Sadist is probably a more accurate description 😂
No Road Except For Land-Rover.