Recommendations on machine shops to rebuild a 2.25 (gas) engine around Edmonton

Started by Matt S, December 22, 2020, 12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt S

My 66 series IIA has spun a con-rod bearing. Does anyone have any recommendations on machine shops to rebuild a 2.25 (gas) engine in the Edmonton area? I am leaning towards not doing the final assembly myself, as I would like to get it running and safetied for this summer.

ugly_90

Do you know if there's expected damage to the block, or crank, or both? I use a shop in Westlock, but they only do blocks and heads. If the crank is damaged, and is geriatric, as this one is, it may be better to replace it, rather than do any machining on it.

There's shops in west and south Edmonton that have more services.

binch

The Block Shop on 118ave in west end.

https://www.tbsengines.com/

They can measure things for you and assess what damage or wear there is and they do good work.
Cheers, Bill

Alex C

Matt are you going to strip the engine and see what's damaged, you may need to start looking for a good core, if your block or crank are damaged the $$$ will add up fast.
I have used both of the shops mentioned, Javel is slower and cheaper, block shop is faster and you pay a little extra their quality is great.

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Matt S

Thanks for the info, I live in Westlock so Javel might be convenient.When the engine seized it suppered a bit like it was not getting fuel then slowly just stopped, so no big bang. Once the bad bearing was removed everything else spins 'nicely', the crank journal is pretty scored and I would think the rest of the bearings have done their time.

where is the best place to get bearings/seals since I will probably need oversized bearings after the crank is ground, or possibly a new crank

ugly_90

The block shop is one of the few around that jet-wash the block and parts with solvent to remove debris. All other shops I've used use a caustic bath, which removes all paint and debris, and strips all bearing coating.

If you have new, good cam bearings in the block, and/or have really good or original paint on a block in a classic vehicle, it may be worth a jet wash rather than caustic. In your case, the cam bearings may be worn as-is; I don't know.

I could only find one shop in south Edmonton that could line-bore cam bearings in a 2.5 cam size, should that be needed. On yours, likely not. On my 2.5 it was a fight to get the prefinished cam bearings to fit without line bore on new ones, but it came through.

Javal is still my choice for basic work.

binch

Don't waste time and money on line bore......get the prefinished bearings from Turner Engineering in the UK.   Any other bearings from Bearmach or Britpart come with a rough finish and will require line boring and it's EXPENSIVE!   But as Adam says....if you can keep the original camshaft bearings (still have a good fit) don't replace them.
Cheers, Bill